Author Topic: 1968 brake caliper sheilds retaining bolts  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Murf

1968 brake caliper sheilds retaining bolts
« on: December 21, 2012, 03:15:56 PM »
In the process of a brake rebuild, and am at a loss as to what the smaller bolts that retain the caliper shields should be.   The two larger bolts are the "slider" bolts, the little ones are just stationary type and seem to be threaded with 5/16 US thread.  I presently have a hodgepodge of bolts in place of the smaller ones, and have no idea what the correct fasteners should look like.  I THINK that the Ford hardware # is381985-S (Service manual is the source of this #).  Anyone have an image and or a description of what is needed? Also is this is a valid number does AMK have these or something the "same as"?   Thanks
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1968 brake caliper sheilds retaining bolts
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »
The 68 Chassis Assembly Manual is no help in this case as the shield is installed as a sub-assembly and individual part are not shown, so to use Ford Car Part is about the only option left (yeah, I know, find the same year car, with the same equipment, from the same plant, etc.) to determine what to use. The bolt you reference, 381985-S is (as documented in AMK Guide to Ford Fasteners) as a 5/16-18X1/2 hex head with a recessed head, 3/8 drive, split lock washer, and a nylon locking patch. AMK carries that bolt under their stock number B-10911 (2010 cat, pg 190).
Jim
PS - get a copy of AMK's Guide to Ford Fasteners.
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Murf

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 07:48:24 PM »
Thank you!  That little part evaded me - two of the bolts that were in the sheilds fit that description, the other two must be something someone at sometime just found that would fit.  Will get new ones along with some other items from AMK.  AS you noted the assembly manual was of no help on this,  Even the sheilds are not shown.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 10:25:48 AM »
Thank you!  That little part evaded me - two of the bolts that were in the sheilds fit that description, the other two must be something someone at sometime just found that would fit.  Will get new ones along with some other items from AMK.  AS you noted the assembly manual was of no help on this,  Even the sheilds are not shown.
I believe you may be refering to the bolts that have a much smaller head size. The have a smaller head then what would be typical for the thread size. They are easy to pick out compared to regular short bolts. I believe they were S100 coated with the safty red too.AMK sells them.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 12:10:55 PM »
S36 with red thread lock
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America