Author Topic: Interesting Fastback, VIN starts with a '4'  (Read 5605 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Interesting Fastback, VIN starts with a '4'
« on: July 28, 2009, 03:53:48 PM »
VIN stamps appear authentic.  Based on the unit number, I would have to say this car was a factory blunder though.  345086 would put the production date around early November '64.  There is one picture in the auction that shows an October sheet metal date, so that would be consistent.  I'm sure an inspection of the unibody would yield many date stamps.  If the unit number was something early, then the "test mule" theory might be more feasible.  Too bad the original LH door is not on the car.  An original warranty plate would help answer some questions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-Fastback-1964-Ford-Mustang-Fastback-Test-Mule-Engineering-Pilot_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem2555b8bc04QQitemZ160351960068QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Interesting Fastback, VIN starts with a '4'
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 09:15:25 PM »
Interesting - but I also would for the factory Opps!   rather than something "important" ;)

But an interesting conversation piece
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 02:09:36 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 01:59:33 AM »
wow.  thats another very interesting find Charles.  ebay can yeild some interesting things if you spend the time looking.

appreciate you sharing this with us.

regards.

PHILL  BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline Bill

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 09:57:52 AM »
There are goofy VIN stamps - I was judging at an AACA show in New Jersey and the team captain called us over saying "Here's something you'll probably never see again." We looked and the VIN number wasn't stamped on the fender apron - it was stamped on the circular part of the shock tower. How/why the assembler decided to do that I can't figure but there it was plain as day. But I've never seen one to get the year wrong.

Bill Krieger

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 12:52:46 AM »
There are goofy VIN stamps - I was judging at an AACA show in New Jersey and the team captain called us over saying "Here's something you'll probably never see again." We looked and the VIN number wasn't stamped on the fender apron - it was stamped on the circular part of the shock tower. How/why the assembler decided to do that I can't figure but there it was plain as day.

Seen the same (likely same worker before they got it staightened out) on a couple of early cars

But I've never seen one to get the year wrong.

God example of this is 70 NJ cars,   And this causes ALLOT of problems for the owners if DMV gets involved. Lots of examples of them being stamped with "1T" and "4T" at the beginning of the VIN
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)