Author Topic: Recovering seats  (Read 2014 times)

Offline sparky65

Recovering seats
« on: January 30, 2010, 04:26:56 PM »
The front drivers seat is ripped but the back seat is almost perfect.  The question is if I only recover the front seat will the back seat match?  The color is black.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Recovering seats
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 04:51:58 PM »
The front drivers seat is ripped but the back seat is almost perfect.  The question is if I only recover the front seat will the back seat match?  The color is black.

The reproduction will most likely show subtle differences from the original.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline slim

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 02:48:04 PM »

I've owned my 68 vert driver for almost 33 years. It has standard black interior. First many years ago had the drivers bucket cushion insert replaced. Three years ago had the passenger bucket cushion insert replaced and the drivers bucket cushion and back insert replaced. I used original black insert material from an original Torino back seat.
IMO the back seat is near perfect, why replace unless it's a high point show car.
I agree that close inspection will show differences. Frankly to my eye the two common brands of replacement upholstery have bigger differences.

I
68 Mustang vert. 289 2V, automatic, power disc brakes, power steering, factory AC.
Lime gold, black top with glass window. Standard black interior.

Offline sparky65

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 07:33:16 PM »
Okay so you think I can get away without doing the back seat what about the other front seat.  I looked at it closer and the passenger seat is not ripped either but the foam is crushed a little.  Recover it or try to save the cover and redo the foam.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline slim

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 01:55:01 PM »
I like using original parts including "soft goods" when it's in good condition.
Take seat upholstery for example. Long exposure to sun and/or heat can bake out vinyl, rubber even hard plastic.

My verts rarely sit outside in the sun. Even the original dash pad is flexible, crack free and looks almost new. Point is the vinyl seat material isn't baked out and fragile. Why not use it? For judging you may get points deducted because the driver seat looks newer...so be it. Guess to me it's like replacing all four tires when only 2 are needed.

68 Mustang vert. 289 2V, automatic, power disc brakes, power steering, factory AC.
Lime gold, black top with glass window. Standard black interior.