Author Topic: Unrestored - 68 Coupe Project - San Jose 7M14  (Read 3248 times)

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
Unrestored - 68 Coupe Project - San Jose 7M14
« on: February 09, 2013, 10:52:13 PM »
This is my first project car ever, and first mustang. i bought the car site unseen with the understanding that the car won't be too original, but had the guy saying its matching numbers. he must have meant the apron vin numbers all match the door and the window...

on closer inspection:
original 302w 4v replaced with a '74 dated 302w with 2v carby.
Original C4 replaced with 69 dated Maverick C4
Original 8" 3.00:1 diff - yep, replaced with a 67 A code 8" 2.79:1

the Original Dizzy from my car was in the boot. so at least something was Original and present.

car came with AC - Removed under hood but under dash all original,
Bench seat - removed and replaced with 70 cougar high back seats,
power disc brakes - Still original including booster with tag. when i opened up the hub, it still had the remnants of the radio suppressor there.
steering box - tagged and original,
power steer pump - tagged and original,
Alternator - still not determined (a ton of calcium/oxidation buildup),

i have since sourced:
most AC parts including brackets and pulleys - minus hoses, and the fixed idler pulley. all specific for build date - same as 67 AC setup.
Date correct engine, never been apart, but had a few external components replaced - fuel pump and everything above the carby spacer was either replaced or incorrect. waterpump was replaced and everything forward of that was missing. there was no fan or spacer, etc...
radiator was replaced, and no shroud present. i recently found a shroud, and have my eye on a few radiators kicking around online.

car has had front end damage. both front rails are pushed towards the middle of the car. the aprons are crumpled, but are not rusty. the rear aprons are a little worse for wear and i am considering placing these. not only are they slightly rusty, and damaged, they also have relocated the hood hinge an inch out from their original fixing. the shock towers are cracked and have some dents. there are rust spots in the overlap of the aprons to the shock towers that need work. and damage underneath to the strut rod supports.

after owning this car for 4 years i am starting to uncover markings, stampings and codes from the car that i did not notice previously. mainly due to rading parts of this site and talking to others online and in person. i will start to compile a list of these things below. i must stress that like every other car, this car has been in accidents, had things replaced, and has also been driven since its original purchase. don't expect everything i put up to be original markings or even significant. its just things i have uncovered along the way.

Hope you enjoy the story as it unfolds as much as i do.

Cheers,

Tim
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 04:01:06 PM by J_Speegle »
San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...

Offline DM_1964

Re: My 68 Coupe Project - 7M14
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 05:04:27 AM »
Sounds like it'll all be worth the hard work Tim, GOODLUCK!
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 10:39:01 AM »
I have stripped the car down to almost nothing, and i am only now noticing the finer details of my car.

My car is very clean underneath, but the car has rusted from the inside out, with the LH side floor pan front and back replaced by a PO not long before it was sold to the guy that imported it to Australia.

i can see red oxide and white overspray on everything underneath, except where stone guard has been sprayed over the dodgy looking repair work... what a shame... i really need to get this car on a rotisserie so i can take pics and record what it looked like prior to restoration. i intend on replacing both sides of the floor to get everything stiffened up. there is alot of flex in the floor due to the rust. there are holes in the floor but only tiny pinholes. but this resto will be a 150% effort to get the car on the road for another 45yrs.

i have found alot of markings on things that i thought would have been replaced over the years, but obviously haven't been... i will be keeping an eye out for any more things i can find. pics will be uploaded soon i promise.

The purpose of this thread is to document the facts about my particular car. i am going to try and seperate any questions into other threads so people car find specific info about things they need help with. To bring everything into the 21st century, i will be adding a 2d barcode link to this particular page on my display board at the Mustang Nationals over Easter 2013 in Perth, Australia. if i am not around to answer questions about it they can scan the code on their iproduct, etc...

Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 11:19:24 PM »
The purpose of this thread is to document the facts about my particular car. i am going to try and seperate any questions into other threads so people car find specific info about things they need help with. To bring everything into the 21st century, i will be adding a 2d barcode link to this particular page on my display board at the Mustang Nationals over Easter 2013 in Perth, Australia. if i am not around to answer questions about it they can scan the code on their iproduct, etc...

Sounds great - as a thought you might want to add what plant to the header/title of the thread to keep all the viewers on target ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tim_morrison82

Re: My 68 Coupe Project - San Jose 7M14
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 10:07:33 PM »
Its been hectic over here in the lead up to the nationals, seems everyone at work wants to get their projects out before Easter so i haven't had much time at all.

I took some pics of the underside of my car the other day, just the non repaired side (Left hand floor was replaced badly by a PO). the pics look very clean and original, however like mentioned above, the car was rusting from the inside out due to bad rubbers not being able to stop water coming in + cowl, and heater core leaks...

below are some pics of the undercarriage, the front edge of the cowl underhood, and a maybe a few random images of things i think are original. please feel free to comment on any of these pics. my car has all original paint , except for the fenders which are genuine replacement panels after front end damage, and grey primer a PO put on as a rust protection in a few spots.

Nice Rotation number, it matches my fuse box's 30.

a few more i missed

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:21:21 PM by tim_morrison82 »

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 02:50:02 PM »
Read more here:  http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/viewtopic/t=371/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html

AND here:
http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,7840.0.html

You may need to sign up (FREE) to view the MustangTech site. if you haven't already, drop in and say hello!

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 10:24:17 AM »
just found a fuel pump dated between my block casting date and the stamped engine build date. I think that the date is a little late, but took me a long time to find a correct one of any date prior to my build...

what is the date range of fuel pumps in general on original cars?
I also picked up a ac control that was intact.

slowly but surely crossing off the list of things to buy...