Author Topic: To J Speegle regarding 71 Mach 1 SCJ  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Ashley

To J Speegle regarding 71 Mach 1 SCJ
« on: February 22, 2013, 02:56:31 AM »
Enjoyed pics of your Cougar, you should consider a concours resto. Were the backing plates natural metal on shoe side? also the brake drums have red oxide on surface that contacts axle flanges. Is it possible the coil spring covers were painted the same slop color as the shock tower braces. A photo of a coil cover on the mega site appeared to be a dark slop grey almost black. I believe you are correct on the cross member being un painted as the engine mount frame brackets were not painted. Thanks for your info. Ashley

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: To J Speegle regarding 71 Mach 1 SCJ
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 03:20:55 PM »
Enjoyed pics of your Cougar, you should consider a concours resto.

Thanks for the kind comments - but its a long way from Concours IMHO - just a driver. Compare it to the work I did on Dan Collin's 69 GT350 posted here also and the level is not even close.

Were the backing plates natural metal on shoe side?

Nope - black on all of the surfaces (front and back) of the backing plates

also the brake drums have red oxide on surface that contacts axle flanges.

Normally see nice clean metal (often looks like plating )  or rust that has formed in the gap/space. Never seen a paint there that was original other than the odd paint mark on the end of the axle from time to time

Is it possible the coil spring covers were painted the same slop color as the shock tower braces.

Yes just can not confirm that - don't do enough 71-73 cars :(

A photo of a coil cover on the mega site appeared to be a dark slop grey almost black. I believe you are correct on the cross member being un painted as the engine mount frame brackets were not painted. Thanks for your info. Ashley

Yes the slop can often (is on mt 69 Boss) dark enough to pass (when not compared side to side with black) as black paint - just can't be 100% sure
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)