Author Topic: Touching up paint around bolts  (Read 2359 times)

Offline sparky65

Touching up paint around bolts
« on: February 03, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
For some reason I had a few places where when i tightened a bolt the paint flaked off.  I am guessing it had to do with two things.  A. it was cold and B. both areas had a higher build of primmer under the paint then i would have liked to see.  Should i take the bolts out touch up the paint and hope it doesn't flake again when i install it or find some other way to carefully paint around the bolts?  Also for future reference would heating the area around the bolt help to soften the paint to prevent this flaking?
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline GScott

Re: Touching up paint around bolts
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 01:30:22 AM »
I bought some thin clear plastic washers at the hardware store. They are the same size as the bolt head. Tightening them down especially fenders to the aprons no marks.  Gary Scott

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 03:05:35 AM »
On areas such as garnish moldings (hand woodgrained and such) in the older cars we use to use pariffin on the bolt and screw heads. This coating kept the hardware from grabbing the paint (as long as we did not over tighten) and destroy the finish. Available at any grocery store (used to seal the top of food in home canning) and once everything in place you can clean the residue off with not too much effort ;)

Just a possibility
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 12:01:49 PM »
I like Jeff's idea.    But what I've done a few times was to remove the bolt, touch up the paint and while wet, tight the bolt.     In other areas, I've cut up a milk carton to washer size needed and used it between the paint and the 'offending' part of the fastener.
Greg Z

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 07:33:15 AM »
Any where you can limit the amount of primer and paint build up will help in the assembly area. Cleaning up fender lips of old built up paint, Cleaning around ext.door locks and door handle holes. Also file out emblem holes of old material build up before your ready to paint will only make life easier.