Author Topic: "Paint OK" markings 66 NJ Mustang  (Read 14181 times)

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

"Paint OK" markings 66 NJ Mustang
« on: April 05, 2013, 01:59:32 AM »
I have these PAINT OK stamps on my early December 1965 Metuchen build, 1966 GT.
I'd love to know what the two names on the fenders are as the fender seems to read KBROWN and the inner fender clearly reads REECE. The cowl is VENTRIGLIA. Any other info here would be great.

SEE PHOTOS IN POST BELOW (PHOTO BUCKET NOT WORKING!)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 11:47:02 PM by 66RavenGTCoupe »
66 Metuchen, NJ  GT Coupe
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRANS
    65B     A      66           02M     22          1     6
Buck Tag:
C/O  362  (Customer Order, Rotation Number)
5    M7 (Weld Bay 5, Bucked Dec 7)
PIO (Performance Image Option - GT)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: "Paint OK" markings 66 NJ Mustang
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 02:10:52 AM »
I have these PAINT OK stamps on my early December 1965 Metuchen build, 1966 GT.
I'd love to know what the two names on the fenders are as the fender seems to read KBROWN and the inner fender clearly readds REECE....

Thanks for sharing the pictures - tried but they wouldn't open for me. Do you have your album locked ?

Unfortunately the poster was looking fro 68 versions ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 02:40:19 AM »
Hi Jeff,
I'm so glad to be able to discuss this with you as you are obviously the No.1 man on this subject and I am but a humble apprentice that is keen and eager to learn.  ;D I have a fairly original and untouched car and am very interested in all of the date stampings and castings and Paint ok stamps etc. I actually have a document that I am constantly adding to with photos and code breakdowns and I'd love to know all about the paint ok stamps and radiator support markings. I've actually sent you a PM on the VMF site but no pics so I'll attach them now. No rad support pics yet but I'll get them to you soon if you'd like.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 08:24:25 AM by 66RavenGTCoupe »
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag:

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 07:29:16 PM »
...................... I'd love to know all about the paint ok stamps and radiator support markings. I've actually sent you a PM on the VMF site but no pics so I'll attach them now. No rad support pics yet but I'll get them to you soon if you'd like.

OF course many of us would want to know everything - but we'll have to work on it a little at a time :)  Might be no more exciting than understanding how a person signs their name ;)  Remember this was a hum drum thing that took place hundred times a day at a dozen or more plants around the country ever day.

Thanks for sharing
Jeff Speegle

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 08:04:53 AM »
OF course many of us would want to know everything - but we'll have to work on it a little at a time :)  Might be no more exciting than understanding how a person signs their name ;)  Remember this was a hum drum thing that took place hundred times a day at a dozen or more plants around the country ever day.

Thanks for sharing
I have  what seems to be PAINT OK KEEFE on the inner PS fender and PAINT OK KBROWN on the outer fender. Can you confirm if these are indeed the correct names especially the KBROWN as this is quite faded and almost illegible. Any Help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 05:35:40 PM by 66RavenGTCoupe »
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag:

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 07:49:14 PM »
Moved this section of that thread since it was getting off the 67-68 subject and focusing on 66 ;)

Looked at what I've got and my collection of clear NJ paint inspector stamps in th eearly year is limited. I did find a Kxxxx used in early 67 but could not make out anything for sure after the K other than the number of letters that followed it were about the same sorry

Maybe some of the other members from that part of the country will have something to add
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 08:44:36 AM »
All I have is are a couple poor quality (camera phone) pictures taken of a 15k mile Metuchen car at the Dearborn swap meet in 2010 or 2011.  It is not very common to find NJ cars here in southeast MI.  The pass fender does indeed look like a "K.BROWN" stamp.  The cowl can't really be interpreted IMO.  I also recall seeing on on the bottom of the hood, but have no pics of that.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 05:48:31 PM »
All I have is are a couple poor quality (camera phone) pictures taken of a 15k mile Metuchen car at the Dearborn swap meet in 2010 or 2011...............

68 (picture label) with a washer bag ???:)
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 09:48:45 PM »
Sure, one of those ultra rare ones that also has a VIN with a prefix of 7 instead of 8.  Thanks for the catch, I had misfiled the pics associated with this car.  Still a Metuchen car though.  And a Mustang...
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 10:17:54 PM »
To add to your "names" of inspectors, I located one stamp on my Oct '65 Metuchen GT in the same position as yours on the right inner fender. It was in the same format (and appears to be the same font), "Paint OK Conger", and in yellow. I have seen one other location than those you've outlined, the underside of the hood. It was another '66 Metuchen car that belonged to a friend. It was on the underhood bracing in the center and in white. It's been MANY years and it was either "Paint OK Martin" or "Martini". I haven't located any other inspection stamps on mine yet.
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 10:49:10 PM »
lots of names and number sequences (likely to identify the same guys or others) used (for our purposes) through the yeears at NJ - just have to also figure out which ones were used (working in that spot) which years. I got many names through the years from others (closer to that plant) then Tim L went through my stamp box and threw away all the "wrong" ones.

A couple of really busy guys that were working that spot for a long time was ADAM and MARTZ in later years

65 & 68 (at least a couple of stamps) used a slightly different format where the top line was BODY PAINT but need to stay on the 65-66 line for this discussion ;)

For 66 I see the name BIDDLE used also
Jeff Speegle

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 11:53:00 PM »
Jeff ya brought back a portion of my memory. The name on the other car was Martz, not Martin or Martini!
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 11:56:37 PM »
Moved this section of that thread since it was getting off the 67-68 subject and focusing on 66 ;)

Looked at what I've got and my collection of clear NJ paint inspector stamps in th eearly year is limited. I did find a Kxxxx used in early 67 but could not make out anything for sure after the K other than the number of letters that followed it were about the same sorry

Maybe some of the other members from that part of the country will have something to add

Good idea to move and restart the thread Jeff. Sorry again if I hijacked.  ;)
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag:

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 01:09:21 AM »
All I have is are a couple poor quality (camera phone) pictures taken of a 15k mile Metuchen car at the Dearborn swap meet in 2010 or 2011.  It is not very common to find NJ cars here in southeast MI.  The pass fender does indeed look like a "K.BROWN" stamp.  The cowl can't really be interpreted IMO.  I also recall seeing on on the bottom of the hood, but have no pics of that.
So that, thank you so very much, is the first part of my puzzle. I am so glad that you are able to match/confirm that it is KBROWN as I was starting to think I was losing my marbles or seeing things or something as my stamp is quite light and faded! You know that feeling when you know something but you just don't know exactly whats happening?? You would'nt know the vin serial number,  door tag date, buck tag date and/or sheet metal date of the fender by any chance? (Long shot I know but I had to ask)
The second part of the puzzle is that the stamp on the PS inner rear fender is stamped "PAINT OK KEEFE" and from what I have read so far, I believe that both inner and outer fenders should have been stamped by the same guy. Are there any other cases where these fenders are stamped by different people at Metuchen or anywhere else for that matter?
I have a clear "PAINT OK KEEFE" photo at home and I will put it up tonight.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 05:39:12 PM by 66RavenGTCoupe »
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag:

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 01:28:58 AM »
lots of names and number sequences (likely to identify the same guys or others) used (for our purposes) through the yeears at NJ - just have to also figure out which ones were used (working in that spot) which years. I got many names through the years from others (closer to that plant) then Tim L went through my stamp box and threw away all the "wrong" ones.

A couple of really busy guys that were working that spot for a long time was ADAM and MARTZ in later years

65 & 68 (at least a couple of stamps) used a slightly different format where the top line was BODY PAINT but need to stay on the 65-66 line for this discussion ;)

For 66 I see the name BIDDLE used also

Thanks Jeff, I have seen posts with pics of "ADAM" and "MARTZ" and have read two references to VENTRIGLIA that seem to confirm the authenticity of my cowl stamp. The KBROWN stamp that I have seems to have appeared on a 67 in NJ as per the above post. I have not come across a cross reference to the "KEEFE" stamp as yet. Have you or anyone else ever heard of it or have pictures of it?
If you are interested, I would be more than happy to supply you with photos of vin, buck and sheet metal dates to roughly varify the date that the PAINT OK stamps were actually stamped for your files. I also have the complete build sheet if this helps at all. Car is unrestored and has 68k miles and had been sitting in a garage in NC for the last 10+ years.
Thanks for all of your help so far!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 07:38:19 PM by 66RavenGTCoupe »
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag: