Author Topic: Pinch weld blackout before vehicle assembly?  (Read 9199 times)

Offline Murf

Pinch weld blackout before vehicle assembly?
« on: May 07, 2013, 03:17:21 PM »
While examining the underside images from Dudley it is obvious that the fuel line and fuel line protector were installed after the blackout paint was applied.  Guess this happened in the paint area before the shell moved along to have any other components installed?  I had never given any thought to when the blackout was applied and was surprised.  The images were from a San Jose car in 1968.  Just wanted to mention this fact.  Somehow I had pictured this blackout being applied later in the build and want to thank Dudley for the informative image. 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Pinch weld blackout before vehicle assembly?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 08:27:18 PM »
John - sorry for the earlier posts - too much meds, too many post  or too little sleep. :(

Won't touch the too old thing :)

Dudley's car is very nice and hopefully we'll both get to see it at a show in the future.

Planning on visiting a yard later this week - will pay some extra attention to those inside seat anchor sealant - since your going deep on your car.

Just have to remember to take the spray bolt and some extra rags

To help other viewers here is the picture I believe best shows what John was referring to above

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:29:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rodster

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 10:19:12 PM »
I was just looking at my 67 original pinch weld blackout and was wondering how they got such a straight line on the rocker panel. ???  What was the technique to apply the blackout and was it common to all plants?
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 11:06:29 PM »
I was just looking at my 67 original pinch weld blackout and was wondering how they got such a straight line on the rocker panel. ???  What was the technique to apply the blackout and was it common to all plants?

Have "discussed" the subject with an engineer from the NJ plant but what they were designing never got applied at the plant. Never found one of the workers, yet, that did the job at San Jose or Dearborn but have a visit coming up that might provide an real response. Until that it appears from the evidence it was a mask that was held in place by a worker (main section from front wheelwell to rear wheel opening) while the paint was being applied and from the rear wheel well to rear valance it may have been a hand held mask since we've got a fair number of those examples that travel up the outer surface of the quarter panel rather than staying below.   The longer mask may have been hung from above and swung into place during use.

Would have thought that this step might have been automated like the floor pan paint/primer application but the results appear to be different enough for this to not be the answer. Might have been a good idea for the long section but would create a challenge for the rear section IMHO but we'll ask and see what we find out. ;)

Black paint overspray coated any panel that hung down (front frame rail, torque box, convertible seat support....) either a little or allot depending on the angle.  In addition blow out into the rear wheelwell (front and rear) was typical as the gun stopped flowing at the front of the wheel well and started again at the rear

IF the pinch weld black out was missed or not done for another reason the paint brush and coffee can of black paint was put to use. We it it pop up from time to time in different years at different plants to make "things" disappear ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline rodster

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 11:20:51 PM »
Good info. Keep us posted if you learn anything new.  Here's an example of the pinchweld blackout on my 67 Fairlane which is similar to what is on my 67 Mustang ( I need to get a close up of the Mustang).

The edge doesn't look sprayed, doesn't look painted.  ??? 
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 11:30:39 PM »
Good info. Keep us posted if you learn anything new.  Here's an example of the pinchweld blackout on my 67 Fairlane which is similar to what is on my 67 Mustang ( I need to get a close up of the Mustang).

The edge doesn't look sprayed, doesn't look painted.  ???

Looks like a very close gun - like allot of the "overspray area" we see on some cars. The brushed - looks brushed IMHO

Looks like the paint dried quickly
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 11:47:28 PM »
Trying to stay with 68 San Jose for the OP and because I've just got too many pictures of these from all years.

Here are a few examples of the rear close/ different angle and a lower angle

In this one the body color barely shows up under the black on the torque box

Much wider pattern

And a couple of close up of the edge  - of course this is after allot of years

Jeff Speegle

Offline rodster

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 12:20:07 AM »
Those sharp edges look familiar.  :)  Now how did they do them?

Lots of variation when it comes to the amount of over spray.  Love the one with all of the runs! Never saw one like that before. Would hate to try to duplicate that!  ;D
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 02:00:00 AM »
Those sharp edges look familiar.  :)  Now how did they do them?

Not really "sharp" but more IMHO rounded and soft. Restorers get the idea of "sharp" then want to start taping with tape :(   Others are "softer" especially when the angle changes. Will look for a couple (along with a brushed example) and post later

Thought I covered the current belief in my post above
Jeff Speegle

Offline rodster

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 09:25:57 AM »

You did, I guess IMHO I just see more of a 'sharp' edge, especially on the first picture of the pinch weld black out you posted. 

In that picture the sharp, but jagged edge, looks like some of my masking tape results.  ;)

I'll check out my 67 in more detail today.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 09:56:09 AM »
Keep in mind the sharp edge could be the picture playing tricks, could be a shadow cast from the rocker molding due to the angle of the camera... just something to consider.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 12:48:16 PM »
Also consider that after all these years, on an original car, they have been cleaned (in many cases) and polished ALLOT of times, which removes the lighter stuff. Find this on the transition area in the engine compartment where the owners have cleaned them  to the point where the softer/lighter paint edge is now stronger and has moved a few inches where the small panel is now void of any black
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 10:54:51 PM »
From today's little trip - More closeups and today cars that haven't been detailed - heck they have been even washed in years, other than my spray bottle and quick wipe. Another look at that edge. All examples today -  66 San Jose

Jeff Speegle

Offline Linc

• 67 Fastback GT - Clearwater Aqua
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 10:32:41 AM »
Is there any evidence that states all cars or only some cars received the rocker blackout? If only some
is it only lighter colored cars?
============================================
      1967 Dearborn Fastback - Clearwater Aqua - 7F02A120xxx
       I am Linc....  What more could you possibly need to know.

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 12:50:29 PM »
Most of the darker color cars I've seen didn't have pinch well black out. (IE) Raven Black, Caspian Blue, and Ivy Green come to mind. I have owned three 1966 Ivy Green Mustangs in my lifetime and the pinch wells weren't painted.