Author Topic: 69 Assembly line headlamps  (Read 3202 times)

Offline 6s1138

69 Assembly line headlamps
« on: February 09, 2010, 08:40:51 PM »
Should the original headlamps on my 69 mach 1 be GE or Tung Sol. Feb 19 build date ,dearborn plant. The bulbs in there now are GE, the ink stamp on backside reads    12v,GE 4001,SAE H 68, 9-8. They appear old but still work great.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 05:28:01 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline rockhouse66

Re: Assembly line headlamps
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 08:55:30 PM »
My 3/69 built San Jose car has GE lights as you describe, with ink stamps on the back including date codes.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline 6s1138

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 10:37:36 PM »
Thanks, thats great news. Four original lamps- God bless USA manufacturing.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 10:52:39 PM »
Seen both brands used on original cars - vendor may vary depending on who got the main contract for each particular plant.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 01:03:05 AM »
I have been collecting headlights from the wrecking yards and original cars out here in AZ and CA the last few years and have seen both the GE and Tungsol.  But also have seen examples of Westinghouse bulbs...which to me are the most unique and difficult to find today.  Date codes I have of the Westinghouse are both 68 and 69.  I will be putting the Westinghouse bulbs back into the Nov 68 Metuchen build Mach 1 I am finishing now. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline 10w30dna

• Tim O'Connor Distributor Restoration
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 03:36:44 PM »
 Do the original bulbs you have found have the FoMoCo logo etched into the front or the cast in type logo? I think they repo the etched type. I have a few with the cast in type FoMoCo in mine. They also have "Made for Ford" ink stamped on the back side.I wonder how many versions are correct/original?
44 years as Ford dealer technician,retired.Favorite toys:'67 Fairlane drag race car. 10.40 @ 129 mph 1.40 60 ft. Current resto project: '68 Shelby GT 350 conv w/Paxton Supercharger .

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 12:40:37 AM »
Do the original bulbs you have found have the FoMoCo logo etched into the front or the cast in type logo? I think they repo the etched type. I have a few with the cast in type FoMoCo in mine. They also have "Made for Ford" ink stamped on the back side.I wonder how many versions are correct/original?

Don't recall any of the cast ones originally this late in production  - seeing etched one by 69-70.  Think the cast ones were pretty early in the Mustang
Jeff Speegle

priceless

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 09:04:07 AM »
And also, something unique about the 69 Mustang headlights and are harder to find than most as we all know is they are smaller in comparison since the 69 was the only year for 4 headlights.
  azscj,,, make sure you collect them from the 4 headlight cars in the wrecking yard from the 60's also, like the Galaxies and other Fords, because they are the same size as the 69 Mustang. So neat that these headlights over 40 years old still burn bright and add that original touch to any classic Mustang.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 03:01:34 PM »
For those looking for looking for the 4 headlight variety, if you still have yards in your region, check for postal vans  or other delievery vehicles. Since these rarely ran night routes the headlights were mainly unused.

Worked for us for years ;)
Jeff Speegle