Author Topic: Whats the order for reinstalling these items?  (Read 3286 times)

Offline sparky65

Whats the order for reinstalling these items?
« on: February 11, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
So I have a few things reedy to go back into the car.  I think I should put the firewall pad in first.  Does anything need to go in before the firewall pad?  The part that I am not sure about is the brake pedle assembly with the stearing column clamp.  The bolts have threads on both ends.  the brake pedle assembly has captive nuts.  Then I have two clamp peices.  I think the one was actually behined the brake pedle assembly held in place with maybe a double sided tape but I don't understand why it was like that.  Seems like it should go on the other side between the brake pedle assembly and the stearing column.
 Also on the steering column seals.  The one gets held to the firewall with the plate and four screws.  Does the other one slide down and seal to the plate?
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Whats the order for reinstalling these items?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 01:54:42 AM »
First thing that should go in the car is wiring, then you can do the firewall pad.  Everything else can go in later.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 11:03:40 AM »
Charles,

What are you thinking?? On 67-68s it is far easier to install the firewall pad before the wiring harness! Also the wiring harness needs to be on the outside (tar side) of the firewall pad for mounting the fuse box.

Sparky,

I recommend installing the brake pedal assembly first, then the firewall pad, then the steering column & steering column clamp. The two seals around the steering column go on first and then you have to pass the column through the seals. the 2-piece clamp at the firewall goes on last.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 05:47:23 PM »
Yes, Pete is right for the wiring.  What I meant to say was that if you have any wiring that runs behind the firewall, like console wiring, it should go in first.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks to Pete for correcting me!

Offline sparky65

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 10:46:21 PM »
Yes, Pete is right for the wiring.  What I meant to say was that if you have any wiring that runs behind the firewall, like console wiring, it should go in first.

I thought the console wiring was on top of the carpet which would mean the carpet should go in before the firewall pad?  Its been way too long since I took this all apart.

The two seals around the steering column go on first and then you have to pass the column through the seals. the 2-piece clamp at the firewall goes on last.

I only have a one metal piece with four screws that attaches to the firewall.  Actually I found a diagram in my manual that kind of explained the order of everything here, but it doesn't show the second seal at the firewall.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 11:18:21 PM »
The console wiring might have been a 65-66 thing.  I know that 3-4sp back-up light wiring also ran behind the firewall pad on a 65-66 and also the shifter light wire for an auto trans.

Offline hockeylife

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 01:24:34 PM »
Charles,

What are you thinking?? On 67-68s it is far easier to install the firewall pad before the wiring harness! Also the wiring harness needs to be on the outside (tar side) of the firewall pad for mounting the fuse box.

Sparky,

I recommend installing the brake pedal assembly first, then the firewall pad, then the steering column & steering column clamp. The two seals around the steering column go on first and then you have to pass the column through the seals. the 2-piece clamp at the firewall goes on last.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Pete - Is this order specific to 67-68? If so, what would change for 65-66? Thanks

Offline 68 GT

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2023, 01:45:19 PM »
Glad I found this old thread. It will help with the reinstalling our 67 when we get to that point!
VIN 7T01C246XXX
Actual build date 5-11-67

VIN 8F01J208XXX
Actual build date 6-27-68