Author Topic: Vin markings on trans, engine, and rear end 1970 mach 1  (Read 2602 times)

Vin markings on trans, engine, and rear end 1970 mach 1
« on: February 12, 2010, 03:27:41 AM »
Were the engine (either block, heads, or manifold), transmission, or rear end identified with a vin stamping or tag on a 1970 Dearborn mach 1 built February 12, 1970?

If so, where would those i.d. markers be located?

The engine was 351 C 4v, the trans was FMX, and rear end 3.50 locking.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Vin markings on trans, engine, and rear end 1970 mach 1
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:06:14 PM »
The VIN would have been stamped on the engine block and the trans on that year and model. The rest of the car will have casting, machining and or assembly dates that should corispond to the  date  (prior to) the car was assembled on

Looked and I do not have a good picture of where the trans one. If I recall it has to be on the top would guess that it might be on the mounting flange like manuals that year since there is no stamping pad like most of the other automatics

No VIN on the rear end - you would have to go with the tag information as well as casting date on the third member to get an idea of they might be original to the car
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Hellcat6

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 10:53:15 PM »
Jeff, I can't find the VIN on the block of my 70 Mach I with 351 Cleveland 4V, October 69, Metuchin.  I looked at the picture above and can't sort our what I am looking at in that pic.  I know for sure I have not found an easily visible VIN like that.  Any other pics that might help my search?
Drew Maser
66 GT Fastback - Emberglo, San Jose
70 Mach I - Calypso Coral, Metuchen

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 09:46:23 PM »
Was doing a search for engine compartment stickers and notice this thread, and thought I would add this note even though is 8 years later.
My car also has the VIN stamped into both the shock towers sheet metal but is not seen as it is under the fender once they are installed.
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers