Author Topic: 69 Shelby GT-500 Trunk light question  (Read 2782 times)

Offline Keithc8

69 Shelby GT-500 Trunk light question
« on: February 19, 2010, 01:43:39 AM »
 I'm working on a 69 Shelby GT-500 that the trunk lid and wiring had been removed when I got it. I am trying to figure out the deck lid light wiring. I have the light mounted in the deck lid wires running out the drivers side rear and know where the positive wire plugs into the wiring harness. I want to make sure that I get the ground wire mounted in the right place and with the correct type screw. Is the screw a phillips heads or a regular style. I also wonder is the wires were tied together in any way and if they had anything holding them to the body when they were routed over to the left side. Looks like there may have been a wire loop holder that the wires went through that held them to the body of the trunk over the wheel housing. Any advice would be helpful.
 I have also been reading over the forums and have already found some great information.

Thanks, Keith Craft

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Shelby GT-500 Trunk light question
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 02:03:41 AM »
Welcome Keith

Assuming that this is a sportroof/fastback  since you mention two wires (with the ground wire)  When was the car built? So we can try to compare similar cars

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 07:35:39 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Keithc8

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 02:21:58 AM »
 Car is a hardtop built early March of 69. 

Thanks, Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 11:21:11 PM »
Keith - this is the best I have in pictures. Shows a Phillips screw

As far as gathering up the slack or clips I have nothing that show that (other than the clip on the trunk lid) on a 69 Shelby.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Keithc8

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 02:25:40 AM »
 Thanks for the picture. Do you think there are any clips or wire tangs that hold the wires anywhere on the body after they leave the deck lid.

Thanks, Keith

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 08:35:55 AM »
Welcome Keith

Assuming that this is a convertible since you mention two wires (with the ground wire)  When was the car built? So we can try to compare similar cars
Jeff, isn't it that the fastbacks have two wires and the verts one because of the metal frame (or do I have it backwards)?
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Keithc8

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 04:00:52 PM »
 This is a 69 Shelby GT-500 hardtop that was built on March the 7th not a conv. The deck lid has two wires coming down and out of it and a place where the positive plugs and a ground wire.

Thanks, Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 07:34:46 PM »
Jeff, isn't it that the fastbacks have two wires and the verts one because of the metal frame (or do I have it backwards)?

No - you've got it correct  - I had it backwards originally above

Picture of the ground above is from a sportroof and the original (putting the trunk lid together pics from AO Smith)  pictures show a sportroof trunk lid assembly
Jeff Speegle