Author Topic: 69 GT350 Sportroof restoration thread - Exhaust (lots of pics - as usual)  (Read 4616 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Well progress has been slow - doing this and that to make things right.

Did get the new exhaust this week from Scott Fuller - as usual and expected it is perfect IMHO.

We choose to use our own NOS Muffler that we had purchased last year for the build, used some original rear mounts and hangers (more on that later) and some resonator hangers were already had.

We soaked the hangers and hardware in the rust bath liquid and since they were not really pitted that came out just fine (did remove the rubbers from the rear mounts to make sure there was no rust hiding to surprise us later.

Coated everything will old  and away we went.  We have not installed the rear collector (though Dan continues to slide it into place and stare at it ;)  - it will be installed in the next couple of weeks and I will post that news then.

Did copy the location and direction of all the clamps from other original cars I had pictures of.

Not that the driveline has been restored and in the pictures wrapped with plastic wrap at the moment

Rear adapter from tail pipe to collector used on the GT350's

The index tab and cut out

A shot of the muffler stamping (car will be shown in Concours trailered and Div II (SAAC) classes so date is not important - and yes the stamping should be on the front ;)

Everything wraps and bends around other items so nicely

Scott test fit the whole system together at his place (we shipped the muffler to him) to assure everything will fit just right. Of course no two cars are exactly alike so we had to help it just a little so that all the indicators and stops aligned just as they should.

Very happy with the look and fit of the system.  Believe we got the second 69-70 GT 350 system  he has done.

Will post some better pictures (better lighting) when the car is completely finished underneath

Hope this helps others

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 08:37:27 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 GT350 Sportroof restoration thread - Exhaust (lots of pics - as usual)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 02:17:42 AM »
We were short one of the rear hangers (the large U shaped section) so we ordered up a pair of the current reproductions.  Though we used them to put the system in the car (holding parts in place) we did discover a difference between the originals and the importance of getting the right reproduction part I though I should share.

If you notice in the pictures I posted a comparison picture (original on the right - repo on the left) below. The height of the formed section facing the rear is at least 3/8" taller or more on the one version of the  reproduction.

So if things at the back are not lining up like they should - you might want to check and confirm that you have the right (original style) parts ;)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 04:45:17 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Dougxbr

Hi Jeff -

Been trying to figure out if GT350 had the J-hangers or not. I’m replacing the muffler and tailpipes on 0170. It did not have the hangers so I got them but the frame holes are so far back that the exhaust pod can’t mount to the body. When I look at the Shelby Unique parts catalog it only shows the u-bolt/clamps for the tailpipe adapter.

Unfortunately this thread is trapped by the bucket.
Any help is appreciated.

Doug
69 Shelby GT350 #0170 Fastback 4spd Non-AC Dearborn Built 20Dec1968
07 Shelby GT500 #4022 Fastback

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Hi Jeff -

Been trying to figure out if GT350 had the J-hangers or not. I’m replacing the muffler and tailpipes on 0170. It did not have the hangers so I got them but the frame holes are so far back that the exhaust pod can’t mount to the body. When I look at the Shelby Unique parts catalog it only shows the u-bolt/clamps for the tailpipe adapter.

Unfortunately this thread is trapped by the bucket.
Any help is appreciated.

Doug
Yes the GT350 got the same J hangers as the GT500. NPD sells a economy J hanger that is usable but Scott Fuller Reproductions makes some that are spot on. http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/catalog/item/4595229/8894716.htm
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 12:45:16 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Yes the GT350 got the same J hangers as the GT500. NPD sells a economy J hanger that is usable but Scott Fuller Reproductions makes some that are spot on. http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/catalog/item/4595229/8894716.htm

True, to one point, they do sell the economy versions but they have for at least a few years now carried what looks to be Scott's hardware at or around about the same pricing. In this instance, look at NPD item 5266-1B
https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/bracket_outlet_hanger_concours_correct_repro-175792-1.html
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Picture links rebuilt :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline KevinK

Very nice pictures. What goes on the end of the pipes for tail pipes?
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Very nice pictures. What goes on the end of the pipes for tail pipes?

??

At the back end (pic #5 above) is an adapter that connects to the large rear manifold that guides exhaust gases from that point to under the rear bumper in the center
Jeff Speegle

Offline Dougxbr

Thanks all. The pictures are very useful. I got new hangers from TDB and they seem better than NPD, but likely not as good as Scott Fuller given the price. I dry fit the muffler, tailpipes and hangers and all looks to line up exactly like Jeff’s pictures. When I put the collector pod in place it sits about 3/4” away from the body bolt holes - it looks a little too far even with the rubber bushings. Without the J-hangers the collector pushed in further.

Any pictures of the collector pod in place without the rear fascia? Does the collector not fit flush to the body?

Doug
69 Shelby GT350 #0170 Fastback 4spd Non-AC Dearborn Built 20Dec1968
07 Shelby GT500 #4022 Fastback

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Any pictures of the collector pod in place without the rear fascia?

Might have one or two

Does the collector not fit flush to the body?

Don't think you want the collector to touch any more than it would have too since heat would not do anything positive to the exterior paint and the other coatings on the rear valance plus just might add another rattle to the car  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline shelby clone

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2023, 01:44:59 PM »
I am at a loss for trying to figure how to mount the rear exhaust hangers at the exhaust collector! , i have a complete exhaust system from branda for my 70 gt 350 clone, I'm sure I'm missing something easy, searched all the posts, saw a few picks of the bracket at the collector but not of the bracket mount to the car frame, pics would be greatly appreciated.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2023, 04:44:55 PM »
I am at a loss for trying to figure how to mount the rear exhaust hangers at the exhaust collector! , i have a complete exhaust system from branda for my 70 gt 350 clone, I'm sure I'm missing something easy, searched all the posts, saw a few picks of the bracket at the collector but not of the bracket mount to the car frame, pics would be greatly appreciated.

The collector is attached to the body in the center below the taillight panel  or to the lower area of the metal tail light panel it is not secured to the rear frame rails

Rear exhaust hangers attache to the frame and to the rear pipes to support the outer ends of the collector, wort of, through the connect of the exhaust pipes to the collector connection.

All of this might explain why your not finding pictures of a outer connector to frame/body connection
Jeff Speegle

Offline shelby clone

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2023, 10:00:31 PM »
I see the last two pics are my concern, where the bracket bolts to the frame and/or the trunk floor by the rear shackle, it just does not line up to the collector, i removed the rear bumper, rear valance, gas tank, and it just makes no sense  on the mount of the bracket that the hanger hooks on to! do you happen to have a pic before the hanger is placed on the bracket?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2023, 11:13:58 PM »
I see the last two pics are my concern, where the bracket bolts to the frame and/or the trunk floor by the rear shackle,........

The bracket attaches to the rear frame rail on both sides with carriage bolts on the bracket side and shouldered nuts on the other

.... it just does not line up to the collector, i removed the rear bumper, rear valance, gas tank, and it just makes no sense  on the mount of the bracket that the hanger hooks on to! do you happen to have a pic before the hanger is placed on the bracket?

Doesn't look like many found the location half assembled was worthy of taking a picture of. Found two that only give a peek at the bracket (and really odd angles) but the lower shows the bracket and other things around the area Did find a number of cars that were built with replacement exhaust systems that just left the bracket and parts off. Unsure how much those systems rattled  ::) Hope this helps

« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 11:35:48 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline shelby clone

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2023, 01:33:46 PM »
thanks, the last pic helps, much appreciated.!