Author Topic: Where to buy a carpet?  (Read 12614 times)

Offline fast66

Where to buy a carpet?
« on: March 04, 2014, 03:42:49 PM »
Haven't heard so much good about auto custom carpets recently, so... what brand and were do you guys buy your carpets nowadays?
I need a medium blue for my 66 2+2 with interior code 62. Also need a red one for a 64 Fairlane 4 door, interior code 25.
Thanks in advance!
Claes
6T09K212784
63A 4 25 21B 951384 5 6

Offline fast66

Re: Where to buy a carpet?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 03:15:30 AM »
ho ho, anyone there ??
I would thing that someone on this site may have bought a good carper sometime recently :-)
thanks,
Claes
6T09K212784
63A 4 25 21B 951384 5 6

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 09:17:52 AM »
I have been very dissatisfied with the ACC product as well. A few year ago I found a company called Motor South carpet. They provided a great replacement for our 67 GTA both in color and quality. I went back to them to buy carpet for my next project and could not find them. I latter discovered that ACC had bought them out. That is one way to succeed in business is some one is beating you buy them. Sorry I could not be more help. I would  like to find a better source too.
Marty

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 11:06:40 AM »
Recently my local auto upholstery guy who I've been using for years said the ACC carpet was about the best going, I was VERY surprised by this.

5 years ago when my car was restored my restorer, after TRYING to get the ACC carpet to fit literally ripped it out and threw it out!

He found a company called TRIM PARTS that had carpet available for my '65 Convertible and he installed IT, mind you it was better than ACCs, but a long way from the fit of NOS FORD carpet.

It seems SO simple for such a large company as ACC to just take a floor pan from a given car and mold it right for the first time, but I guess not.

I really never hear any rumblings from the GM crowd as to who they source their carpets from......sure would like to find SOMEONE that gives a crap enough to make a good fitting carpet!

Offline carm

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 01:00:45 AM »
Sorry to hear about your discontent. Have you called ACC to let them know about your complaint?
 I went to their site and they boast: •Custom Molded Automotive Carpeting, •Original Molded Fit, Colors and Materials   •High Quality Auto Carpet materials.
Is this an issue with the second and third generation Mustang also? I will be looking to replace my tired old original carpet soon. Carm.

1969 GT350 convertible grabber orange
Auto
Built: April 21,1969. Dearborn

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 07:03:58 AM »
I personally have NOT contacted ACC about "MY" discontent, I believe that many professional restorers have though.
There have been lots of threads on carpet problems over the years and it all seems to center around ACCs bad fitting stuff.

If I thought the reps at car shows from ACC gave a crap or knew anything I'd just about take the seats, console, ect out of my car and ask them to install a set of their carpet right there at the show right in front of everyone.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 03:06:25 PM »
The 2 main issues I have seen with carpet over the past 5 or so years is that they are making it way too thin.  Can hold up to a light and see through it.  The other issue is I have seen some where the front mat comes up way too far onto the seat riser.  It should only crest the edge and go back a couple inches, just enough for the seat studs to go through.  I have seen some carpet where that edge is half-way in the middle of the seat riser, which is just totally wrong.

I think a lot of folks expect carpet to just fall right in and fit.  I've actually never encountered that, I always have to stretch, trim and do some magic to get them to look right.  They usually go in and fit nice with some skill and persuasion.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:35:29 AM by caspian65 »
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline MyRed66GT

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 07:29:28 PM »
I ordered mt carpet from Virginia Mustang-they sell ACC carpet with mass-backing on it. At the time I heard this was the best fitting option for carpet. All carpet sites I was on just seemed to get their stuff from ACC and resell it. Carpet seems to fit pretty good...not perfect though. With some tweaking it'll look OK.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 12:38:03 AM »
I was not impressed with the mass-back carpet I bought for a '68 Shelby convertible about 5 years ago.  Instead of seeing through the carpet, could see right through the loop and see the black backing.  They need to address the thin carpet and stop trying to cut corners.  People will pay more for a good product, it wouldn't be the end of the world if folks had to pay $200 for a carpet set... which compared to many other carpet sets for vintage cars is dirt cheap.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 01:09:17 AM »
I was not impressed with the mass-back carpet I bought for a '68 Shelby convertible about 5 years ago.  Instead of seeing through the carpet, could see right through the loop and see the black backing.  They need to address the thin carpet and stop trying to cut corners.  People will pay more for a good product, it wouldn't be the end of the world if folks had to pay $200 for a carpet set... which compared to many other carpet sets for vintage cars is dirt cheap.

+1

Offline carm

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 02:38:12 PM »
I have been very dissatisfied with the ACC product as well. A few year ago I found a company called Motor South carpet. They provided a great replacement for our 67 GTA both in color and quality. I went back to them to buy carpet for my next project and could not find them. I latter discovered that ACC had bought them out. That is one way to succeed in business is some one is beating you buy them. Sorry I could not be more help. I would  like to find a better source too.
Marty

+1+1+1
Who owns ACC anyway? We should have them made aware of our collective discontent. It would be nice of them to answer this blog personally. They should remember that WE are their bread and butter. Carm.
Auto

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 07:46:59 PM »
Who owns ACC anyway? We should have them made aware of our collective discontent. It would be nice of them to answer this blog personally. They should remember that WE are their bread and butter. Carm.

Originally it was a family business who sold out years ago. Now IIRC, its a small segment of a large corporation.

Plenty of bad PR on the web of years. unfortunately as long as people are buying them there will be no change.

Not sure if they only supply the aftermarket - if they also supply the auto industry that would make us all most insignificant.

Lat time I ordered a set I returned them three times before I received on that would work and fit. The suppliers (major and minor Mustang Parts locations) might have the companies ear more than an individual. Just a thought and their going to hate me for mentioning it 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 01:33:05 PM »
I just installed my carpet over this past weekend. Black ACC carpet for a 64 1/2 coupe. It was a special order through VA Mustang as it was coming directly from the factory. (64 1/2 only cover to the rockers not up and over like later 65/66's and up years. I have installed several sets of carpet over the years and I believe they have always been ACC. The one issue I noted from a few years back was that they faded quickly from black to brown due to sun exposure, (over the trans hump and,, my fastbacks rear fold down turned brown the quickest in about 1 year.) I am still very pleased with the quality and fit  with this last purchase. One thing I noticed is that the center hole for the shifter was not cut out. This was not the case before.. not a big issue now as I had the shifter out ahead of time. Had no issues otherwise. I have never done a 64 1/2 before but the sewn edges look correct to me?? The attached pic was after I marked for the console install. Hope they line up when I place it back for final assembly! Anyway, the carpet looks dark brown but it is indeed a rich black. Must have been the flash.
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline fast66

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 01:44:45 PM »
Thanks for all replies and opinions. Seems I have to go for ACC...
Was positively surprised about the sewn edges of the 64½ carpet. That is what I want for the Fairlane.
My biggest problem may be that if I buy it in the US when I am over for the 50s aniv, it may not fit when I get home :-(
Anyway, thanks again!
Claes
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 02:21:35 PM by fast66 »
6T09K212784
63A 4 25 21B 951384 5 6

Offline carm

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 12:21:25 AM »
I would suggest that you google ACC Carpet is crap first before you buy from them. You will see that there are alot more people displeased with this product. I was surprised, it's a problem with other car makes also. If you Google ACC Carpet by itself you will just get all they dealer that are trying to sell the cheap carpet to you.
I'm in the same boat as I need to replace the carpet in my 69. Did anybody have a satisfactory result replacing the carpets in a 69/70 Mustang?
This company doesn't care or they wouldn't have soo many people thrashing their reputation on the web..
Carm.
Auto