Author Topic: By adding two options, would you get deducted points  (Read 2087 times)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
By adding two options, would you get deducted points
« on: March 04, 2014, 07:42:07 PM »
I was thinking on adding a floor center console and rear tail light panels. Would you get deducted points in the concourse driven class.
Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -
1967 Mustang GTA S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Dec. 13, 1966 (Thermactor)

Daddy / Daughter Project -
1967 Mustang S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Sept. 9, 1966

Offline Rsanter

Re: By adding two options, would you get deducted points
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 08:09:56 PM »
How would they know that the car didn't come that way if you do the install correctly?
If you add an available option, I think it's a value adder and that's it

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 08:26:50 PM »
Cases where you could lose points for "added options" in concours driven as the current rules stand for 67 (no Marti report required):

1. Installed incorrectly from a "workmanship" perspective, as Bob stated.

2. Installed incorrectly from a "group" perspective.  Examples: wheel lip moldings which were part of the exterior decor option, but not installing the complete exterior decor option; installing a convenience control package with lights mounted in the lower console with no air conditioning option also, etc.

3. Installing something not on the door plate.  The two tone painted rear without the "5" suffix on the color code.  Installing a complete interior decor package with a standard interior code on the plate.  An exception in my opinion would be to have original dealer paperwork proving that the work was period correct.  I've seen this once, but have only assisted in judging about 20 cars, a "newbie".

I would respectfully disagree with Bob from a value adder perspective, since the topic is points not dollars and cents.  Adding options won't add any points.  MCA is on a points deduction system.  Therefore, adding any options actually gives the car more exposure for areas in which to lose points.  For example, if there is no power steering, there is no way to lose points on an incorrect color on the pump, an incorrect belt, fluid leaks, and so on.

Hope this helps.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
MCA 74660

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 08:41:53 PM »
Cases where you could lose points for "added options" in concours driven as the current rules stand for 67 (no Marti report required):

1. Installed incorrectly from a "workmanship" perspective, as Bob stated.

2. Installed incorrectly from a "group" perspective.  Examples: wheel lip moldings which were part of the exterior decor option, but not installing the complete exterior decor option; installing a convenience control package with lights mounted in the lower console with no air conditioning option also, etc.

3. Installing something not on the door plate.  The two tone painted rear without the "5" suffix on the color code.  Installing a complete interior decor package with a standard interior code on the plate.  An exception in my opinion would be to have original dealer paperwork proving that the work was period correct.  I've seen this once, but have only assisted in judging about 20 cars, a "newbie".

I would respectfully disagree with Bob from a value adder perspective, since the topic is points not dollars and cents.  Adding options won't add any points.  MCA is on a points deduction system.  Therefore, adding any options actually gives the car more exposure for areas in which to lose points.  For example, if there is no power steering, there is no way to lose points on an incorrect color on the pump, an incorrect belt, fluid leaks, and so on.

Hope this helps.

+1

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 09:15:55 PM »

Another one would be there the addition would have violated a federal or state law or standard or voided a warranty

Of course some clubs require the cars to be presented as they were delivered from the factory - no dealer installed options or accessories. And another long term concern is if more (some do currently) require Marti reports to be included for the judges during judging

Just a though ;)t

...........Therefore, adding any options actually gives the car more exposure for areas in which to lose points.  For example, if there is no power steering, there is no way to lose points on an incorrect color on the pump, an incorrect belt, fluid leaks, and so on.

Currently in MCA (it's been address in other organizations) cars equipped without AC, PS &  thermactor systems basically get an additional 20 points "free". In a Concours class that is a ton and the reason some have built stripped down 6 cylinder coupes in the past
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Rsanter

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 01:05:19 AM »
By value adder I meant to the value of the car overall.
But I see your point about the potential loss of points the more options to judge would have.

A long time ago I had the though that it would be best to just make a show car out of a no option little 6cyl coupe. Less special stuff to find and mechanically very simple.
Then take the big block cars and drive the snot out of them.....

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 11:34:03 PM »
Thanks everyone, all this information is very helpful.
Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -
1967 Mustang GTA S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Dec. 13, 1966 (Thermactor)

Daddy / Daughter Project -
1967 Mustang S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Sept. 9, 1966