Author Topic: You be the MCA Judge on this engine. What is wrong, competing in concours.  (Read 2552 times)

Offline 79mustangcobra

With the 79 Capri RS Engine Bay on Ebay.

Again, a very nice car.  We are just doing friendly nit picking which can help prepare your car for a MCA Event.  Of course this engine bay is not show ready.  I will show a picture of what it should look like later, after the fun of figuring it out.

1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline cobrajetchris

I am not an expert on concourse details on this model however I did note the rt. inner fender apron appears to be buckled and there is a large gap between the fender and the apron. The area I question is to the rear of the battery at the snorkel inlet. Again I am not an expert on this model but that does not look right to me. Sometimes in looking for the little details we miss some obvious things. If this is a car you are looking to buy you may want to take a closer look at that. 
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline drummingrocks

As far as little things: aftermarket battery and replacement radiator cap.  Also, has someone painted part of the wiper motor housing black?  Looks like half of it is natural.  After looking closer, it does look like the RH fender apron might be buckled.  You can sort of see it where the paint has fleaked off.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline KevinK

Battery, wiper motor, distributor cap, radiator cap, hose clamps, rust, dirt, flaking paint, missing plugs on cowl, air cleaner color, air cleaner lid finish, non-Ford Radiator, battery cables, no rivet in onion head mount.

Dealer installed AC? If so would need doccumentation.

With the number of questionable things spotted in just 10-20 second glimpse, it sets off some red flags which gets a closer look.  Usually, many more things are noticed at that point.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline 79mustangcobra

Good job guys - thanks for your help.  Information like this just helps us know these cars better.

Good catch "After looking closer, it does look like the RH fender apron might be buckled.  You can sort of see it where the paint has flaked off."

The Voltage Regulator is in the correct location.  The power steering pump reservoir is black plastic on 79-88.  It is off-white plastic on 89-93.  What probably happened, the pump went bad and they went to Autozone and bought a rebuilt one with the off-white plastic.

A/C is correct and factory.  Ford used this style of York compressor until late 1981.

This is a 5 mile 1979 Mustang Pace Car

What is wrong with the clamps? - Good Call

They should be pedestal style and not the worm style.

The 79 used this style

Hood Pad is missing.

Wiper Motor is correct in black until 1982.

Is there a sticker that should be on the coolant/Windshield fluid?

What about the Radiator Cap? - Good Call

Aftermarket radiator. - Good Call

Upper Radiator hose should have the sleeve until 1989.  After that they went to ribbed tube.

Brake Fluid Cover - should be black, but Zinc Dichromate is also acceptable.

Look at the distributor cap. - Good Call

It should be blue on 79-81 Cars.  (Hard to find in blue)

82-93 distributor caps are gray.

Battery cables should be side mount. - Good Call

There is more to this car if any of us could see it in person.  Tough to always tell just by a picture.

Here is how it should look, correct at bottom picture (from a 300 Mile Pace Car) besides the White Motorcraft battery R-22FCB

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 05:01:20 PM by 79mustangcobra »
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6