Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

Battery Rebuild Writeup

(1/8) > >>

rockhouse66:
I have rescued some reproduction Autolite batteries by replacing the internals.  The idea and techniques for doing this originally came from Forum member John Murphy.  There are some tricks to this, so I documented the last one I did to assist others in performing the job.

Thanks to encouragement and formatting assistance from Marcus, and support from Jeff, the "how to" on this is now available in the Library section.  Note that the website mentioned as a source for the replacement battery is no longer active.  Also, it is possible to do this using a lug top battery but it is more difficult, and especially so when doing the smaller batteries (Gr. 22 & Gr. 24) due to the smaller case.  However, it can be done because a friend recently did this on his priceless Gr. 22 case using a lug top style battery.  I welcome feedback and corrections from those who use this resource.

Here are links to both the write-up and the Library section where it resides:

http://concoursmustang.com/speegle/Articles/Autolite%20Group%2027%20Battery%20Rebuild.pdf

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5719.0

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: rockhouse66 on May 12, 2014, 11:07:18 AM ---I have rescued some reproduction Autolite batteries by replacing the internals.  The idea and techniques for doing this originally came from Forum member John Murphy.  There are some tricks to this, so I documented the last one I did to assist others in performing the job.

Thanks to encouragement and formatting assistance from Marcus, and support from Jeff, the "how to" on this is now available in the Library section.  Note that the website mentioned as a source for the replacement battery is no longer active.  Also, it is possible to do this using a lug top battery but it is more difficult, and especially so when doing the smaller batteries (Gr. 22 & Gr. 24) due to the smaller case.  However, it can be done because a friend recently did this on his priceless Gr. 22 case using a lug top style battery.  I welcome feedback and corrections from those who use this resource.

Here are links to both the write-up and the Library section where it resides:

http://concoursmustang.com/speegle/Articles/Autolite%20Group%2027%20Battery%20Rebuild.pdf

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5719.0

--- End quote ---
Jim, I applaud your effort and think you did a good job of writing the article. I have done this many times myself but have always cut out the inside edge bottom instead of the top. One of the biggest advantages are that on the bottom you can make a cut mistake and not be noticeable . When cutting the top off you have one chance to make a perfectly straight cut . That can be challenging even with a band saw let alone by hand. Any irregular cut will be noticable . Even with a perfect cut you may or may not be able to tell that there was a cut upon close examination on a top side cut . Another advantage is that you do not alter the outside appearnce when going in the bottom inside edge way. There will always be a slight difference in height between the details on the side of the case because of the extra material removed by the saw blade when cutting off the top.  I use a cut off saw when cutting out the inside edge of the bottom. It throws up a lot of dust so you need to use mask. Another advantage is when cutting from the bottom you gain the extra height that eliminating the inside bottom gives you. I have always found that you can use all of the extra height inside you can get regardless of hidden battery used.  The point is making it look like it hasn't been done . This point can be accomplished better by going in the bottom side cut way. Ether method takes the same amount of steps and time .Cutting off the top adds a lot more stress. Even more if you are using  original battery. I think it will be much easier to ruin the look of a battery cutting the top off plus you will always lose little bit of height and appearance which my or may not be noticable . This critique is meant to add to a already informative and well done how to article. If nothing else it gives another option.       

rockhouse66:
Bob - thank you for your comments.  Yes, I agree, cutting the bottom is an option.  Seems it would make it awkward to work on the underside of the posts to make your attachments though?  Do you then replace the bottom with something, or just let the replacement battery sit on the tray and drop the case over the top?  The extra height you gain cutting the bottom could be important in getting it all to fit, especially on a Gr. 22 or Gr. 24 size case.

I have found that the lip under the band at the top of the case does a great job of disguising the cut when you do it my way and I haven't had issues making a straight cut, but I can certainly see where this could go wrong.  Should be a (messy!) piece of cake though with a band saw (which I don't have).

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: rockhouse66 on May 12, 2014, 01:52:44 PM ---Bob - thank you for your comments.  Yes, I agree, cutting the bottom is an option.  Seems it would make it awkward to work on the underside of the posts to make your attachments though?  Do you then replace the bottom with something, or just let the replacement battery sit on the tray and drop the case over the top?  The extra height you gain cutting the bottom could be important in getting it all to fit, especially on a Gr. 22 or Gr. 24 size case.

I have found that the lip under the band at the top of the case does a great job of disguising the cut when you do it my way and I haven't had issues making a straight cut, but I can certainly see where this could go wrong.  Should be a (messy!) piece of cake though with a band saw (which I don't have).

--- End quote ---
Not much more awkward then connecting from the top. No replacement bottom it sits on the original sides without a bottom. You let the hidden bat sit in the tray and the other on top of it. You can even rig it up so so  a bracket plate  holds it all together with 2 bolts secured In two of the vent cap holes.not nessasary but slick.I have done it both ways . With many successful conversions this bottom way works best for me. I have only done this on multiple thousand dollar batteries so you can understand my concern to not compromise the out side look.I will try the repro conversion in the future as they get more expensive.

Rsanter:
Good writeup
I have though and wondered why someone dosent just make a case only that we can drop a battery into so it looks correct and they don't have to go through the trouble of actually making a battery. Just the case

I would recommend that you look at some of the race car batteries. They are similar to what you used but are rated in CCA and are very powerful. They are not cheap but may do a better job cranking a big block

Bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version