Author Topic: 68 Parking Brake Handle Mechanism  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Sunlitgold68

68 Parking Brake Handle Mechanism
« on: March 11, 2010, 03:00:42 PM »

looking over my front parking brake cable today and trying to figure out if you can take the mechanism apart in order to detail. I can see how the wheel comes off that guides the wire itself, can the whole inner part come out? How does the plastic handle come off?
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
Re: 68 Parking Brake Handle Mechanism
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 03:39:48 PM »
Yes, that whole assembly can be disaasembled for restoration. However, the handle will be a lost cause as the pin that holds it to the rod is pressed in from one side. I don't think many of us have come accross 67-68 e-brake handles that weren't broken. Are you sure yours isn't at least cracked?

To take the handle off of the rod, you need to drill a hole through the handle on the opposite side of the pin and then hammer the pin out. New handle goes on and you hammer the new pin in place.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 04:08:25 PM »
Pete, my handle is cracked at the base.... I have another handle to put back on. So if I take the handle off, the inner rod will come thru the metal sleeve housing? Thanks
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 06:54:06 PM »
There is a dowel that goes into the shaft that acts like a stop. Remove the dowel (usually vise grips will do it) and the handle can now turn enough to pull all the way out. Be careful to put your hand over wear the ratchet and spring are as they will fly out one the handle is removed
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline sparky65

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 08:27:53 PM »
Pete, my handle is cracked at the base.... I have another handle to put back on. So if I take the handle off, the inner rod will come thru the metal sleeve housing? Thanks

If the 68 is the same as the 67 you can drive the rod stop pin out from the back.  You just have to position the rod  over one of the holes in the bottom of the housing.  Surprisingly my handle was just bent and I was able to bend it back without it cracking.  So just washed it with soap and water and never had to take it off.  But I did pull the rod and handle out of the housing so I could paint the housing.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 09:43:21 AM »
What is the finish on the rod and wheel? It looks like a dull zinc, what is the best way to clean these pieces?
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968