Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Body, Paint & Sealers

Frame Repairing of Jack or Jackstand Damage

(1/5) > >>

67gtasanjose:
I have searched the forum, but no luck finding my answer. It seems everyone has to have seen the frame rails on many early Mustang's damaged from jacking or use of jackstands. Mine is no different. All along the bottom side of the front frame rails, portions are pushed up maybe as much as 1/4 inch in spots.
It there a prefered way to work these out that requires little filler to finish? I have thought of different ideas, but there MUST be a "best way" to do this.

Richard

mtinkham:
Richard,

One approach would be to drill a series of holes in the toe board and/or floor pan just above the area that is damaged.  Then, use an appropriately sized rod to gently tap the metal back into position.  Once you have the frame rails straight, you could plug weld the drilled holes in the floor.  I am sure other members will have suggestions for you, too.  Good luck.  Mark

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: mtinkham on June 26, 2014, 01:27:42 PM ---Richard,

One approach would be to drill a series of holes in the toe board and/or floor pan just above the area that is damaged.  Then, use an appropriately sized rod to gently tap the metal back into position.  Once you have the frame rails straight, you could plug weld the drilled holes in the floor.  I am sure other members will have suggestions for you, too.  Good luck.  Mark

--- End quote ---
A  good idea  !! As good of a idea as it is it not the best for all cases because it is not guaranteed to address all of the possible problems especially on a frame rail with a lot of damage. Best way is to cut out the sheet metal in the narrow section above the rail for the most access to the problem. After the fix the sheet metal can be welded back as before. It doesn't necessarily have to be dressed that well as it will be covered by the carpet.

krelboyne:
There is another way.

Body shops weld pins to sections of metal and use a slide hammer type of tool to pull the dents out. At the completion of the job, the pins break off nearly flush. It would be a lot less invasive. You could probably google it on youtube.

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 26, 2014, 01:56:22 PM ---...Best way is to cut out the sheet metal in the narrow section above the rail for the most access to the problem. After the fix the sheet metal can be welded back as before. It doesn't necessarily have to be dressed that well as it will be covered by the carpet.

--- End quote ---
This was ONE of the ideas but my archival training that says to "not do any damage" conflicts the idea (but yes, I have to get to it SOMEHOW)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version