Author Topic: Reproduction steering wheel  (Read 3893 times)

Offline Chris

Reproduction steering wheel
« on: November 23, 2014, 05:35:52 PM »
I've been looking for an original 64 1/2 white steering wheel with no luck. I need to switch out the 65 version on my car now so that my horns will work. So, out of desperation, I'm considering buying a reproduction 64 1/2 steering wheel, but I'd like to know where they vary against originals in terms of details/original features. The reproductions from parts suppliers say they are molded plastic like originals...but what else should I look for? I'm guessing that most are from the same supplier.

Thanks.
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline DM_1964

Re: Reproduction steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 08:59:33 PM »
Hey Chris,

I've been on the hunt for a blue OEM 64 1/2 steering wheel for a while with no luck, I was going to settle for a reproduction in the interim through VA Mustang, they advised at the time and I quote: "the steering wheels have been on back order for over a year now.  Our manufacturer is having problems with the tooling.  Also, sometimes when the wheel arrives to us, they are already cracked during shipment.  Our manufacturer has been working very hard to correct the problems.  So we do not have any ETA of when they will be available."

That was back in April, I haven't followed it up since...

Keen to hear from others on the condition/fit of steering wheel's they've purchased and from who.
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline DKutz

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 02:05:23 AM »
Color will be off
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 08:32:56 AM »
Color will be off

+1 and the thickness/density of the plastic is thinner/lighter than originals.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 10:43:12 AM »
 I was dealing with this same dilema about a year ago. I too was told the same thing from VA Mustang, (this is why I continue to deal with them heavily as they are very knowledgable and honest about their products) What I decided to do was to try and fill the cracks using the POR products 2 part epoxy kit. I thought it would turn out good but not perfect and the result is what I expected.  A few small cracks have returned now, a year later, but I can deal with them. Some of my cracks in the wheel were just too large but at least it is still the original wheel.  Here are some pics:

I followed the instructions for prepping the wheel and using the 2 part clay. Followed this by sanding, epoxy primer, and then finished it with base coat clear coat. I'm happy with the results and it cost well under the price of the crappy aftermarket wheels.
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline Chris

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for the good info on the reproduction steering wheels. I had no idea they were thinner plastic and prone to cracking. I guess I'll keep looking for an original and suffer having no working horns.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:41:15 PM by Chris »
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 10:46:57 PM »
How about professionally restoring an original wheel?  Anyone have any positive stories to share?
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 11:08:54 PM »
I think I'd need a miracle to repair these cracks...

The car took solid hits to the rear and quarter panels, I assume that's when the steering wheel cracks resulted, must've been a big hit (I picture the car making a run to the mexican border followed closely by the LAPD and then whack!)...
Regards,
Dom

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 07:23:07 AM »
Dom-
    I think the chances of finding a "used" '64.5 wheel worthy of your show quality restoration are slim to none. I had to go source another "core" as my original wheel looked similar to yours and my restoration shop worked their magic.

I'll be in Columbus this weekend for OSU / Mich game and will be at the Ford Super Swap on Sunday, I'll keep an eye out for a core if you wish to look at going that route.

Greg

64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 08:26:41 AM »
I think I'd need a miracle to repair these cracks...

The car took solid hits to the rear and quarter panels, I assume that's when the steering wheel cracks resulted, must've been a big hit (I picture the car making a run to the mexican border followed closely by the LAPD and then whack!)...

I would fix that wheel if it was the only one I had.  The cracks usually have nothing to do with impact crashes, it's mainly due to the plastics shrinking over time.  A hot environment will typically accelerate this process, especially over many decades.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 09:47:01 AM »
    I think the chances of finding a "used" '64.5 wheel worthy of your show quality restoration are slim to none.
Hey Greg, not one blue 64 1/2 wheel has come up since I've been looking... Let me know what you come across at the Super Swap, appreciate the offer!
btw your interior is stunning, I hope I get close to that level...

I would fix that wheel if it was the only one I had.  The cracks usually have nothing to do with impact crashes, it's mainly due to the plastics shrinking over time.  A hot environment will typically accelerate this process, especially over many decades.
Charles, how would I go about repairing it, I don't think I'd be able to compress those cracks before repairing or is that even possible? or is it just a matter of filling it in gaps and sand, primer and paint?
The weather shrinking the plastic makes sense, my car's DSO is LA and I bought it in '97 out of Redondo Beach, so I assume it's spent all that time in the Californian sun with the top down...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 09:51:03 AM by DM_1964 »
Regards,
Dom

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 12:19:35 PM »
You might take a look in Hemmings services offered section for a steering wheel repair service. Years back I had one done by a company in Southern California that I found in Hemmings for a friend's Mustang. The wheel was for a 67, was around $80 and came out very good.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.