Author Topic: How to Remove Metal "Hats" On Heater Cables?  (Read 1754 times)

Offline drummingrocks

How to Remove Metal "Hats" On Heater Cables?
« on: November 24, 2014, 10:49:49 AM »
Hi guys, I'm in need of a little advice here.  On a '65-66, the control cables for the heater system were retained with small metal push-on hats.  Once installed, these hats locked the cables in place and ensured that they couldn't come back loose.  What's the best way to remove these hats without damaging them?  On the last '65 heater core I did, I finally ended up leaving the originals in place and working very carefully around them, since I couldn't get them off without damaging them.

Also, what's a good way to reinstall them?  I thought maybe a deep well socket, plus a few light taps from a small hammer, would probably work without damaging anything.

Thanks for any advice!
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline jwc66k

Re: How to Remove Metal "Hats" On Heater Cables?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 06:49:47 PM »
AMK sells replacements (351699-S2, 4 for $3.00, AMK B-12981). Pry the old ones off. Use unnecessary force if necessary. Large diagonal cutters work. To reinstall, needle nose pliers to hold the new one in place and what ever will fit to pound them on. You get better access with the glove box out.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline drummingrocks

Re: How to Remove Metal "Hats" On Heater Cables?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 08:48:44 AM »
Thanks, Jim, that was kind of what I figured too.  I know last time that I tried every way possible to get the originals off without damaging them, and it just wasn't happening.
Too much junk, too little time.