Author Topic: Guide to Rear Tie Down Brackets  (Read 4880 times)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
Guide to Rear Tie Down Brackets
« on: March 18, 2015, 01:47:15 AM »
I put together a guide here to show the different rear tie down brackets used for the 64.5 thru 1973 Mustangs (and Cougars) and talk about what we have seen over the years.  Based on alot of good input we have had on this subject from previous threads.  Hopefully this covers everything and explains some of the differences we have seen.  As always appreciate comments.

http://www.anghelrestorations.com/uploads/3/1/7/6/3176630/tie_down_v1.0.pdf

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 01:50:32 AM by azscj »
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Guide to Rear Tie Down Brackets
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 07:08:45 AM »
Very good write-up that seems to closely follow the facts collected in the other thread. Nice Job Marcus, as always   8)

I did notice one typo you seem to have missed  :o  ;) on page 5, near the middle of the page just after Black Paint: where you wrote "he" and I believe you meant "Here"

Other than that, I had a question about the 3rd bolt on Dual Exaust cars. Pictured in the article, there is a bolt with captured washer. Several of the San Jose examples pictured seem to have at least two other versions of bolts used. One without any form of washer and another with a washer formed onto the head of the bolt. Maybe we need more info on this one piece of the hardware?  (from various locations and years) I do not recall very much discussion on that particular piece in the hardware within the other thread and I see only one style pictured in the article is why I ask.

Richard
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 07:29:29 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 11:03:19 AM »
Very informative, nice job! Thanks for posting it.
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 JalapeƱo Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 04:30:41 PM »
Thanks Marcus - another job done ;)

Will have to find some time to provide a link in the library to it
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Dudley

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 06:52:42 PM »
Beautiful work, thank you. and thank you for including a picture from my car. Dudley
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 07:31:42 PM »
Let me add some others to the mix:
Picture 1 - Two long bracket types before I cleaned them up. Straight hook end pair came off my Oct 65 San Jose "K" car, the bent hook end were "payment" for bead blasting and painting another pair. I think the bent hook end is used in later years. They were "very difficult" to remove with the dual exhaust system in place, which is another reason I assume that many were left on the cars.
Picture 2 - A close up of the nuts used on 64-67 San Jose brackets. These are the same nuts used on 64-65 front bumpers and 64-66 rear bumpers for the bumper to bracket bolts, 374358-S8.
Picture 3 - I took these off a couple of San Jose 67 Mustangs but all I can remember is they were not dual exhaust cars. A third set went on a May 67 San Jose "A" code single exhaust as a replacement. Note the lack of a "keying" bump on the upper mounting surface.
Picture 4 - This pair came from a single exhaust 69 Mustang including the hardware shown, plant unknown. Note the locking pin on the hex nut's surface.
Marcus, if you want to use these, OK. If you want the raw photos, send me a PM.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 09:13:21 AM »
Richard - I will fix the typo.  As for the mounting hardware it is certainly possible that there could have been some additional variations but I wanted to include the most common here.  And keep in mind with the washers I have seen them installed against the nut and not the head of the bolt.

Jim - I will send you a PM.  Picture 3 would be interesting to me as I have not seen this version of the single exhaust.  As for the other pair with the bent T hook end, I think thats exactly what they are just bent.  Dont see that as a seperate version.  If you go to the junkyard there is plenty you can find that are bent or that have exhaust hangers attached as they got mis-handled over the years. 
Marcus Anghel

Offline Dudley

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 04:32:48 PM »
Will we see this guide in Mustang Monthly someday?  I saw your guide on '69 horns in the April 2015 issue.
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 10:08:43 PM »
Hard to say about Mustang Monthly.  They need to balance out there articles and look at the bigger picture of what readers want to see and are interested in.

Thankfully we have forums like this where we can look at some really nice detailed information and share that.  Years ago the magazine was the only source for these technical articles.  Now we have a lot of forum members who have written some pretty good information.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:41:10 AM by azscj »
Marcus Anghel

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 06:29:34 PM »
Added some additional information and updated the document to show two different version of the single exhaust tie down brackets now...
Marcus Anghel

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 01:00:55 PM »
Sent pictures of the ones I have to Marcus and he set me straight.
My brackets are from a Maverick and not for a Mustang. Should have seen
that from the very excellent pictures he posted.
Thanks for the education about Tie Down Brackets.

Texas Swede
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:40:13 AM by Texas Swede »

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 06:57:55 PM »
Very nice and informative write up with great examples and historic photos. Kudos. Marcus we actually met a few years ago when you were in Chicago for the big Nov car show and you stopped out at my house to look over some parts. I think you bought that assembly line Boss 302 upper radiator hose.

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 02:58:53 AM »
Yes...thats right....I remember the visit and looking thru some of the parts you had.  Hope your doing well.  Stay away from them Vipers!
Marcus Anghel