Author Topic: 1967 SJ Assembly - Cowl/Apron Detail  (Read 2487 times)

Offline cmfuser01

1967 SJ Assembly - Cowl/Apron Detail
« on: March 27, 2015, 07:38:53 PM »
New to this forum, hope you can help. Please see attachments.

Issue 1: Where the cowl meets the aprons the fitment looks really bad. It appears the original factory welds are in tact. Is this normal? I know it looks like the cowl panel was replaced with poor workmanship but given the factory spot welds appear to be in tact I have to ask.

Issue 2: The RH side has square hood hinge nuts and the LH had round hood hinge nuts... is this normal?

Any insight would be really helpful.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:45:40 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 SJ Assembly - Cowl/Apron Detail
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 04:51:09 PM »
First - welcome to the site

Second -  If you want answers that will fully answer your questions you need to include when and where the car was built at. For your question the specific month could make all the difference

See http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=22.0  Topic: Posting Questions - Just a reminder

If you don't someone will normally in the first response will ask you that question in every thread you post ;)

Details make a difference

Will wait for the additional information
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 04:59:25 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cmfuser01

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 07:01:54 PM »
First - welcome to the site

Second -  If you want answers that will fully answer your questions you need to include when and where the car was built at. For your question the specific month could make all the difference

See http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=22.0  Topic: Posting Questions - Just a reminder

If you don't someone will normally in the first response will ask you that question in every thread you post ;)

Details make a difference

Will wait for the additional information
Ok - sorry. Need to learn the protocol I guess.

The data plate decodes to the following:

Warranty Number: 7R01T******

Year:   7   1967
Plant:   R   San Jose, CA
Body Series:   01   2 Door Hardtop
Engine:   T   200 1v I6
Unit:   ******  ******

Miscellaneous Vehicle Data

Body:   65A   2 Door Hardtop, Standard Interior
Color:   Y   Dark Moss Green Metallic
Trim:   2G   Lt. Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl and Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl, Standard Interior
Date:   27F   June 27, 1967
D.S.O:   71   Los Angeles
Axle:   2   2.83:1, Conventional
Trans:      

Thanks!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 07:16:24 PM »
Thanks for the additional information
Date:   27F   June 27, 1967

Issue 1: Where the cowl meets the aprons the fitment looks really bad. It appears the original factory welds are in tact. Is this normal? I know it looks like the cowl panel was replaced with poor workmanship but given the factory spot welds appear to be in tact I have to ask.

Guess your referring to the somewhat large gap between the panels. This was by design and allowed for variables in panel fit while the body was on the jig used to build and align the unibody on the assembly line. The gap is typically filled with sealer applied from the wheel side of the wheel well when they were sealing along the cowl edge

Issue 2: The RH side has square hood hinge nuts and the LH had round hood hinge nuts... is this normal?

Normal (now that we know more about your car) for your cars plant and time period. As they San Jose, transitioned to the new (but no better IMHO) design for the hood hinge mounting points for some reason the stamping plant that supplied them, changed the passenger side to the newer version first.

Would guess your car was actually built after the projected build date listed on your door tag and your VIN starts with 7R01T225xxx to 226xxx
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 08:41:27 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline cmfuser01

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 07:53:52 PM »
Thanks for the additional information
Date:   27F   June 27, 1967

Guess your referring to the somewhat large gap between the panels. This was by design and allowed for variables in panel fit while the body was on the jig used to build and align the unibody on the assembly line. The gap is typically filled with sealer applied from the wheel side of the wheel well when they were sealing along the cowl edge

Normal (now that we know more about your car) for your cars plant and time period. As they San Jose, transitioned to the new (but no better IMHO) design for the hood hinge mounting points for some reason the stamping plant that supplied them changed the passenger side first.

Would guess your car was actually built after the projected build date listed on your door tag and your VIN starts with 7R01T225xxx to 226xxx
Thanks Jeff, really appreciate your response.

On #1 I'm referring not so much to the gap on the outboard side (which I think you're referring to) but rather how the top of the apron fits into the "channel" of the cowl panel on both sides - as if the channels are wider on center than the top of the aprons on center, even given a little slop factor. So bad it seems a chunk was cut out on the driver side to make it fit. This could have been normal practice?

On #2, so earlier cars would have had the same style nut on both sides? I've seen an earlier car with square nuts on both sides but your post suggests the factory was transitioning to square from round "changed the passenger side first", not the other way around. Not sure I can reconcile that. Can you elaborate?

Thanks so much for your help!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 08:57:02 PM »
On #1 I'm referring not so much to the gap on the outboard side (which I think you're referring to) but rather how the top of the apron fits into the "channel" of the cowl panel on both sides - as if the channels are wider on center than the top of the aprons on center, even given a little slop factor. So bad it seems a chunk was cut out on the driver side to make it fit. This could have been normal practice?

Sorry I missed your intent

So your concerned about the poor fit of your transition panels between the cowl and the inner fender panels.

The transition panel "channel" was designed to be wider and both panels were to be aligned with the inner and top corners matching as best possible. The drivers side looks like the inner lip was bent over and is not trapped under or between the two panels on the body. Not typical of the work I've seen that plant and year though things happen

Where the panel was initially tack welded seems to depend on which side of the car and the worker normally assigned to that position or the way the first few panels were handled before they were added to the unibody

On #2, so earlier cars would have had the same style nut on both sides? I've seen an earlier car with square nuts on both sides but your post suggests the factory was transitioning to square from round "changed the passenger side first", not the other way around. Not sure I can reconcile that. Can you elaborate?

The change was from the round (with a flat side back side) to the rectangle/square design  rather than the other way around.
Jeff Speegle

Offline cmfuser01

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 08:52:15 PM »
Sorry I missed your intent

So your concerned about the poor fit of your transition panels between the cowl and the inner fender panels.

The transition panel "channel" was designed to be wider and both panels were to be aligned with the inner and top corners matching as best possible. The drivers side looks like the inner lip was bent over and is not trapped under or between the two panels on the body. Not typical of the work I've seen that plant and year though things happen

Where the panel was initially tack welded seems to depend on which side of the car and the worker normally assigned to that position or the way the first few panels were handled before they were added to the unibody

The change was from the round (with a flat side back side) to the rectangle/square design  rather than the other way around.
Thanks Jeff - really, really helpful info.