Author Topic: 69 black headliner  (Read 5090 times)

Offline Dirk Pitt

Re: 69 black headliner
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 10:45:16 AM »
You're right Armond - that is Bob's car.  I also have photos of another low mileage '69 SCJ that Bob has  and it also shows a darker color sail panel/headliner as compared to the side panels.  I do wonder if there might be a supplier and/or lot variation as noted by tobkob.  The cars I am restoring are both Dearborn cars with dates around that of Bob's car so we opted to go with the black (vs. charcoal) headliner/sail panel combo.  My original visors are still usable (hopefully) and they seem to match the headliner (although not exact).

I agree good discussion. I spent many hours researching this a few years back when trying to decide what headliner/sail panel combo to put in my cars (finally resolved in my case by visiting Bob's shop).  As noted in an earlier post, I had to recover new sail panels as I could not purchase any at the time with the black moonskin - and I did work with Scott at NPD to try and source the black sail panels (who was extremely helpful BTW).

That's a good shot Bobs car.  Maybe it is the flash.  But I still feel they were not as black as what has been described.  I have a picture somewhere of a headliner that was installed that is very black and the original sunvisors do not match.  I'll see if I can find it.  The sail panels were repo and did not match the headliner.  It was obvious without the flash.  Good discussion.
1969 Mustang SCJ (W-code), Dearborn Built 4/21/1969
1969 Mustang CJ, Dearborn Built 7/16/69

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 10:57:16 AM »
I just spent some time trying too dig out the picture I was talking about with no luck.  I had a computer loss and my wife saved my pictures on one of those little things you stick into the computer, but I have apparently lost tons of pictures....  I spent hours going over that Mach of Bobs and took at least a hundred pictures.
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline DEWilson

• Maine Mustang Back from the Dead Restoration Shop
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 05:40:45 PM »

I was asked by a salesperson, for a customer, if we were aware of black headliners not all being black.  I told them that I am aware of variations but not anything that it would cause me concern.  What was conveyed afterwards I cannot say.  Dye lot variations exist and it is a fact of life.  It has never, in my experience with the Drake headliners I have observed, risen to a point where they were no longer black enough.

I am sorry but dye is like paints, if your getting dye from someone thats making sure there properly mixing with the right amount of pigmet.  and then doing testing that the color is a match to your standard then there would not be that much variation. any way the two headliners that came from npd made by scott drake are not black, IMHO it even looks a shade lighter in color when i compair them to some of my newly painted dark charcoal panel. 

But anyway it comes down to this... it is when I lay the scott dake headliner on top of the old factory origanal one.. the scott drake part is way to gray in color and i am trying to do it concourse so i have sent the item back to npd and found a correct black moon skin material that matches the factory old headliner , plus the rod pockets on the scott drake item are 3/4 to 1 inch openings and the factory ones are 1/2 inch. really dont need headliner hanging down lower

I thank everyone for their input.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 05:45:17 PM by DEWilson »

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 06:45:18 PM »
That is certainly way to Gray! 
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline tobkob

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 10:41:38 PM »
That is certainly way to Gray!

That's about the color of the sail panels I received. :(

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.