Author Topic: Steering wheel question  (Read 3548 times)

Offline aslan

Steering wheel question
« on: February 11, 2016, 04:10:25 PM »
Friend of mine sent these pics over  asking if this was a steering wheel for an early Mustang.  Just wondering if you guys could identify it.
Thanks
Stan

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Steering wheel question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 04:16:13 PM »
NOT from a Mustang, looks like a typical universal wheel that uses adapter hubs in conjunction with adapter plate (chrome between wheel and column) to fit multiple applications.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 07:57:01 PM »
NOT from a Mustang, looks like a typical universal wheel that uses adapter hubs in conjunction with adapter plate (chrome between wheel and column) to fit multiple applications.
Or Shelby.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 09:28:14 PM »
This is a Ford Mustang/ Shelby over the counter wheel.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 10:18:44 PM »
From what I can find, F.I.V. (Fabbrica Italiana Volanti) made aftermarket steering wheels for many vehicles, including the Shelby wheels. Here's a couple of photos of a wheel for a Maserati.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 10:31:48 PM »
Dave, without a doubt.  Of course the sorting out and fires caused their demise. I rebuilt and restored the one in the picture. It's currently up for sale on Ebay. I found a source on new insulators in a different material

I think they even made the wheels for Jag in the day.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 10:44:34 PM »
I rebuilt and restored the one in the picture.

You did a good job, it looks great!
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 12:22:21 AM »
FYI Scott Drake has come out with a 67 Shelby steering wheel in the 500.00 range. It is not exact but looks nice for the price . The next closet thing has been 3000.00 or more. Funny how many people have their high priced wheels (some genuine and some over the counter type)on the market knowing that the lower priced wheel will deminish the prices somewhat.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 01:01:56 AM »
You might note the individual who claims they have genuine '67 wheels for 7K. She bought an inventory and parts are swapped from one to another for particular applications. I saw the Drake horn button. With the exception of the Sipea markings, they seem pretty much spot on.  At 550.00 it might not even be a bad idea for those who drive their vehicle on a regular basis to set the original aside and use the repro except for judged shows.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 07:30:27 PM »
You might note the individual who claims they have genuine '67 wheels for 7K. She bought an inventory and parts are swapped from one to another for particular applications. I saw the Drake horn button. With the exception of the Sipea markings, they seem pretty much spot on.  At 550.00 it might not even be a bad idea for those who drive their vehicle on a regular basis to set the original aside and use the repro except for judged shows.
Brant sells them for 350.00

Offline DJames

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 08:49:27 PM »
That looks like an old school Nardi steering wheel that people used to put on Alfa-Romeos back in the 60s.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 05:19:47 AM »
Bob, that is less the 199.99 horn button. So 549.95 is what the repo wheel runs with the horn cap. By the way, the Drake horn cap fits the factory wheel and I see no difference between them, like stated above. Less the Sepia stamped on the back plate.

-Keith