Author Topic: Interior upper quarter panel vent grills re chrome ?  (Read 3444 times)

Offline gimpystoy

Interior upper quarter panel vent grills re chrome ?
« on: December 14, 2014, 03:58:11 PM »
Has anyone had success re-chrome the interior upper vent panels vent grills? I'm thinking a alternative may be emory sanding,Eastwood chrome paint.
Thoughts, experience, please.
Gimpy

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 06:13:36 PM by carlite65 »
67 C code Metuchen, May "67" build 289 C4

Offline Fastback2013

Re: Interior upper quater panel vent grills re chrome ?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 03:56:23 PM »
Hello Gimpy,

I have/had the same problem.
I have searched (and hopefully found  ???) a firm, who didn't saw any problem(s) with re-chroming those parts.
Last week I picked up the chrome trims of the folddown rear seat of my fastback.
I think they came out pretty well?
In attachment you find the original part and the same re-chromed part.
I think it is always the best that you can re-use all your existing parts in stead off buying new/aftermarked products, with a possibility that they doesn't fit that quite well ::)
He promised me that I could have my other parts till the end of this year... so I must have patience for another +/- 14 days  ;D
If you want, I will post the pictures when I received them.
Personally, I think that you could do more harm with painting etc., when you are able to fully watch every detail when sitting inside your car... just a thought ...
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline gimpystoy

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 04:54:55 PM »
They came out beautifully .
So I have to ask. Where is shop that did work, please
Gimpy

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 05:31:36 PM »
It is done by 'Chromage Central' in Ghent/Belgium.
An 'old school' craftsman...
Not knowing where you live, but not that difficult for sending your items to Belgium?
If you want his email address or phone number, just ask.
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 06:59:25 PM »
Has anyone had success re-chrome the interior upper vent panels vent grills? I'm thinking a alternative may be emory sanding,Eastwood chrome paint.
Thoughts, experience, please.
Gimpy
Upper vent panels (pot metal) and folddown trim (steel) require two different techniques of chrome plating. The pot metal is much harder to do and the end result may have nothing to do with the chrome because the pot metal part some times has bubbles that pop out when you go to strip and polish before plating and sometimes during plating. This is especially a problem with the thin fins on the upper grill. It is harder to find someone to do die cast (pot metal ) then regular steel (trim). Most plater don't do the die cast because of the typical problems that arise like I explained and the problems they have with customers because the part doesn't turn out well or the extra money it takes to make it look right (if that can even be done on some items) so it has been explained to me. The last set of uppers I had done cost close to 700.00 and I thought they could have been better. One type of separate repro panels are plastic and looks ok but the ones that come attached to the upper panels already are metal and look much better but the upper trim looks less then great . So you end up taking the upper panels off and re installing them into original upper panels.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline gimpystoy

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 07:44:06 PM »
TY
Now my delima begins plstic grills/ grills w panels move grills of grills w panels to OE panels! Concours can be frustrating.
Gimpy

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 03:08:50 AM »
TY
Now my delima begins plstic grills/ grills w panels move grills of grills w panels to OE panels! Concours can be frustrating.
Gimpy
If money is a motivator the plastic ones are less expensive .If a more authentic look is more important then the more expensive metal grill/panel assembly makes more sense.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline gimpystoy

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 05:36:30 PM »
Bob: Money is becoming a big factor. I'm on the cusp of moving from Concours to nice driver level with this project. It sounds like the plastic is good for "nice Driver"

TY,
Gimpy

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 06:09:09 PM »
Bob: Money is becoming a big factor. I'm on the cusp of moving from Concours to nice driver level with this project. It sounds like the plastic is good for "nice Driver"

TY,
Gimpy
You wouldn't be the first one . Yes they are and the reason why I mentioned it.  ;)

Offline gimpystoy

Re: Interior upper quarter panel vent grills re chrome ?
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 07:39:10 PM »
Bob: Thanks so much fpr the advice and information. Looks like my post Christmas shopping and New Years project is setting up.
Merry Christmas and a healthy happy with smooth roads 015.
Gimpy

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: Interior upper quarter panel vent grills re chrome ?
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 04:26:53 PM »
I took mine apart for plating since they look about 80% but I want better.

I used a Dremel and just broke through the swadged studs.

The question is what product are you guys using to glue these back on?
Pics?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion