Author Topic: re-coloring carbs  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Murf

re-coloring carbs
« on: August 28, 2016, 07:03:54 PM »
Has anyone re-colored a carburetor?  The coating on the 4300 series when manufactured was a dull grey on the center section which seems to degrade over time and cleaning.  Having seen them come from some rebuilders looking as new it must be possible to replicate this coating - but how?  Just throwing this out with hope that someone has successfully done it at home.  Also of interest the home kits by Caswell (sp?) and possibly others seem to be the answer to the cad or zinc look but do they also offer the di-chromate dye to duplicate the gold tone on some of the carb linkage pieces?  Thanks!
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline rockhouse66

Re: re-coloring carbs
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 08:28:45 AM »
John
I've used the Caswell dichromate with good success but you first have to have the part zinc plated.  Wipe it clean with solvent and dip in the chromate solution, rinse with water, dry (I use a heat gun on low) and voila!
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 12:20:20 PM »
In case you were wanting to see the process:

'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 01:50:15 PM »
FYI the chromate solution is VERY carcinogenic . I always wear gloves and am concerned about inhaling it (I should wear a mask). I don't think it is a coincidence that both Mike Ulrey and Jon Earnhart (well known Carburator restorers) died of brain cancer.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 11:22:01 PM »
John - run away. Just my opinion (from a guy who spent his life running into burning buildings WITHOUT hose or water)

Had the liquid to do this at one time and I got rid of it after I got one whiff. And I've all kinds of acids around over the years experimenting with all sorts of stuff and would do that hundreds of time before I tried using this stuff.

Just one personal opinion
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Murf

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 11:09:02 AM »
After looking at what is involved I will take your advice and stay away from this stuff.  The carb on our car doesn't show anyway, so will leave well enough alone.  Thanks to all who sent a reply. 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior