Author Topic: 67 GT500 clutch fork  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Azdriver

67 GT500 clutch fork
« on: July 09, 2016, 08:54:26 PM »
Any other applications or completely on its own?

With some research I think I answered my own question. Difficult to find I would imagine.......
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 09:12:19 PM by Azdriver »
69 Mach 1 R code
66 GT coupe
68 GT500

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 GT500 clutch fork
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 09:17:51 PM »
Any other applications or completely on its own?

With some research I think I answered my own question. Difficult to find I would imagine.......
Yes. It is another just as obscure application. 67 427 Fairlane. Yes very hard to find . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Azdriver

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 11:30:57 PM »
Do the 390 forks have a smaller fork opening than the correct one? Are the later forks for CJ's the correct opening size?
69 Mach 1 R code
66 GT coupe
68 GT500

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 12:05:27 AM »
Do you have the big input or a small input shaft? If you have the 1 1/16" input, you can't use the one called out for the large input 1 3/8" shaft. ( Both are 10 spline)
                                                                                                                          -Keith

Offline Azdriver

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 12:11:14 AM »
Using a RUG S trans. I see I will have to use a C8OA fork.

Thanks, Pat
69 Mach 1 R code
66 GT coupe
68 GT500

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 12:14:00 AM »
Do the 390 forks have a smaller fork opening than the correct one? Are the later forks for CJ's the correct opening size?
Only the big input transmissions were used from the factory on 67 GT500's . The 390 forks use the much smaller throw out bearing so they are useless and besides that the opposite end looks different . The later CJ fork is the same size large throw out bearing end but uses the tongue style pivot clip instead of the wire type that the original 67 fork used. The clips can be changed out or left with the later style. Of course the end that you see is different in shape and would have to be modified. The fork steel is extremely hardened and difficult to work with. Using a genuine one as a pattern a respectable replica can be made but it is very difficult especially if you do not have the expertise and even if you have the expertise there is a learning curve the first time that translates into many hours. I have a source that makes them up for me in case you do NOT want to tackle it yourself. PM me if interested.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 12:25:48 AM »
Only the big input transmissions were used from the factory on 67 GT500's . The 390 forks use the much smaller throw out bearing so they are useless and besides that the opposite end looks different . The later CJ fork is the same size large throw out bearing end but uses the tongue style pivot clip instead of the wire type that the original 67 fork used. The clips can be changed out or left with the later style. Of course the end that you see is different in shape and would have to be modified. The fork steel is extremely hardened and difficult to work with. Using a genuine one as a pattern a respectable replica can be made but it is very difficult especially if you do not have the expertise and even if you have the expertise there is a learning curve the first time that translates into many hours. I have a source that makes them up for me in case you do NOT want to tackle it yourself. PM me if interested.
Of course if on a non Shelby or if you don't care if it looks factory correct or not then just use a CJ fork . It will function perfectly given the correct  matching pivot point in the bell housing