Author Topic: 1966 SJ Inspector stamp  (Read 1294 times)

Offline 65Ford

1966 SJ Inspector stamp
« on: December 04, 2017, 02:28:13 AM »
On my 1966 SJ built Mustang (April '66 Schedule build date) I found "O.K. -9" on the passenger cowl and "120" in grease pencil (I think) under the passenger front of the hood.

The radiator spewed dirty coolant when the car overheated.  How may I clean the cowl area without erasing the "O.K.-9" ?

And, is the "120" significant to keep?

Last picture I included because the fuel line clamp has engine paint while the securing piece did not.  Also, the bolt for the oil dip stick still has some engine paint left on it.
63A  R  28  02K  51  1  5
5R09A142

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1966 SJ Inspector stamp
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 03:32:03 AM »
On my 1966 SJ built Mustang (April '66 Schedule build date) I found "O.K. -9" on the passenger cowl and "120" in grease pencil (I think) under the passenger front of the hood.

The radiator spewed dirty coolant when the car overheated.  How may I clean the cowl area without erasing the "O.K.-9" ?

And, is the "120" significant to keep?

Last picture I included because the fuel line clamp has engine paint while the securing piece did not.  Also, the bolt for the oil dip stick still has some engine paint left on it.
My first thought would be to try some hand cleaner without the pumice additive to clean without taking off the markings but even then try a section away from the marking first.  The timing cover ,waterpump and the bracket were painted engine color with the rest of the engine . The fuelpump fuel line and the small clip were added after the engine was painted . The clip is spring steel and typically a gun blueing looking finish originally.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Deuce

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 10:02:49 AM »
Every now and then the cowl on my SJ '67 (Nov 66 build) gets washed with some soapy water.  That stamp has been fairly impervious to the elements and the patina on the cowl fits with the rest of the car.  The partial OK stamp was done at the factory, from the beginning it didn't show the full letters.

Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, Flat Rock built Oct 23 2007, RC 72

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 10:30:25 AM »
120 is one of the rotation numbers for the car.  Should find the same number behind the rear bumper on the body and possibly written on the radiator support in white.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 12:00:27 PM »
Every now and then the cowl on my SJ '67 (Nov 66 build) gets washed with some soapy water.  That stamp has been fairly impervious to the elements and the patina on the cowl fits with the rest of the car.  The partial OK stamp was done at the factory, from the beginning it didn't show the full letters.
;) nice shot of your Heater Control Valve Robert. Pretty!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 03:24:08 PM »
Be careful considering any cleaning - just about an disturbance will remove the paint inspector's markings in my experience.  Depends on how much ink was applied, remains and what exposures the surface has seen. That inspector was not a regular but more of a fill-in IMHO based on the regularity of how often it is found. Believe originally it was actually OK-90. There are a number of threads about 65-66 paint inspector stamps. Look for them (different inspector and likely pattern) in one of the top corners of the bottom of the hood (like near the rotation number) fender edges between the attaching bolts and behind the head light bucket covers/bezels.

As Charles stated the "120" is your second rotation number used for the second half of construction. It would have been printed on all of your cars build sheets and you'll find it (we possibly considering their condition and age) on over a dozen or two items and parts since its a San Jose car. If you search out other threads you will find where others have found them.

The engine fuel line clamp is typical (base painted - clamp not) of what would be expected and commonly found

Nice finds and thanks for sharing
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 65Ford

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 01:30:15 AM »
Thank you all for the advice and information.  I'm glad to be able to contribute.  This Mustang is just a run-of-the-mill 2bbl 289 with C4 coupe but it still has some of it's original parts.  Unfortunately it has an Earl Scheib paint job so some of those marks will be buried.
63A  R  28  02K  51  1  5
5R09A142