Author Topic: Coil spring washers and bolts  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Crgjohnson

Coil spring washers and bolts
« on: December 11, 2017, 12:34:46 PM »
 Restoring a 66 GT San Jose build. The original bolts I removed for this coil spring guard covers did not have star washers. The research I have done shows they should.  Is this one of those items that the line worker just grabbed whatever bolts were available? The bolts I removed were original and had never been disturbed.  Should I add the star washers or return to what I found originally? Was the finish on these bolt heads semi gloss black or black phosphate?  Thanks for any wisdom
Craig
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Medium Blue Metallic, CA emissions
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Calypso Coral, CA emissions
09 Shelby GT 500, factory stripe delete

MCA 69-71 concours BOSS gold card judge
Mustang restorer (hobby)
69 Cougar 3/69

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Coil spring washers and bolts
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 02:37:22 PM »
There will usually be a witness mark on the inner fender panel that will help answer your question.  If you know the car had disc washer and that matches the marks, then no doubt to go with disc.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 04:49:40 PM »
Restoring a 66 GT San Jose build.
What's the (scheduled) build date?
The original bolts I removed for this coil spring guard covers did not have star washers. The research I have done shows they should. Is this one of those items that the line worker just grabbed whatever bolts were available?
There was a transition between the earlier external tooth lock washer style and the toothed disc style. There are instances of a mix, especially on fender bolts as there may have been as many as six different inventory sources (buckets?) that they came from to facilitate fender installation.
The bolts I removed were original and had never been disturbed.  Should I add the star washers or return to what I found originally?
There will usually be a witness mark on the inner fender panel that will help answer your question.  If you know the car had disc washer and that matches the marks, then no doubt to go with disc.
As Charles said, look for witness, in this case - teeth, marks.
For reference, I have two October scheduled build San Jose Mustangs, a 15 Oct Hardtop, and an 18 Oct Fastback, and both have the toothed disc type bolts used everywhere except the hood safety latch (the bar in front of the hood latch post).
Was the finish on these bolt heads semi gloss black or black phosphate? 
The finish was phosphate and oil, with the shade ranging from a light to medium dark gray, almost black sometimes, not painted. The nuts used on the coil spring covers (the correct Ford name is "Front Suspension Bumper Bracket"), located in the wheel well, would get covered with soundproofing spray.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 09:37:25 PM »
Restoring a 66 GT San Jose build. The original bolts I removed for this coil spring guard covers did not have star washers. The research I have done shows they should.  Is this one of those items that the line worker just grabbed whatever bolts were available? ......

Well they had to be in the bin/holder for the worker to grab them there would be a transition period if there were a change of supplier but with  enough sampling we can narrow it down for you

+1. We can help with what other cars around your cars production period if you provide a guess as to when it might have been made. Dates from your engine (assembly date) as well as sheet metal will give you a "not before" date and a place to start.  All here to help you

Finish for your year and plant would be phosphate
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Crgjohnson

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 11:51:52 PM »
Wow all great answers. The car is a a Feb 22 1966 build. The witness marks support the serrated edge washers. I thought it was P&O but had been told by multiple people that is was painted black. I don't see an AMK kit with these in the correct finish. Are they reproduced? Thank you all for sharing your wisdom

Craig
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Medium Blue Metallic, CA emissions
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Calypso Coral, CA emissions
09 Shelby GT 500, factory stripe delete

MCA 69-71 concours BOSS gold card judge
Mustang restorer (hobby)
69 Cougar 3/69

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 11:58:11 PM »
They are reproduced, but might not match the markings of your originals.  If yours are in good shape, it would be recommended to refinish them.  There's a great reference guide to DIY phosphate/oil here on the site.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 12:51:21 AM »
The car is a a Feb 22 1966 build.
I had a San Jose build 66 GT Fastback dated March 28, 1966 (it speaks Australian now) that had no external tooth lock washers bolts (5/16-18 threads) used under the hood. All were disc on this car. An occasional external tooth type pops up now and then, no reason.
I thought it was P&O but had been told by multiple people that is was painted black.

A popular tale. Someone got under the hood with a can of spray paint to "freshen up" the look.
I don't see an AMK kit with these in the correct finish.
The Ford part number for that fender bolt is 378178-S2. It is a 5/16-18 X 1.0 inch hex head bolt (sometimes called a screw). The -S2 indicates a phosphate and oil finish. AMK sells them separately, not kits, in quantities of 12 or 50, with head markings of SEMS in a dual circle, or with double quotes (aka double ditto). I've found both head markings on San Jose cars.
Be careful in ordering, the same Ford part number was used for the external tooth type and a smooth surface disc washer.
Jim

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 05:59:19 AM »
Just as a reminder the date on the door tag/plate is not the completion date fro your car (likely) but a projected date. The date the person entered into the system as a guess when your order was received at San Jose and assigned a VIN

Looking at unrestored cars around that time with the tooth washer I found this example. Earlier and later they went to the smooth disc style for a while

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)