Author Topic: Fan clutch help  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Colorado56

Fan clutch help
« on: October 24, 2014, 01:27:12 AM »
My 67 GTA 289 mustang has lost its fan clutch and I need to replace it.  The problem I have is the car has a late model Paxton supercharger installed on the car so the fan needs to clear the idler and crank pulley.  My fan is the stock 7 blade C6OE-G. My problem is stock replacement fan clutches have 1 3/4 spacing between the fan mounting pads and the water pump flange and my current one is 2 1/8.   That's 3/8s difference between them.  I know this is off the concourse topic but I am pulling my hair out trying to find a replacement. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Fan clutch help
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 07:08:16 AM »
That example in your pictures is NOT a factory fan clutch, it is a inexpensive NON-thermal parts store replacement. Running the Paxton, you may also wish to upgrade to a thermal, or possibly a heavy-duty thermal replacement. This is something "you get what you pay" for with. Read more here:

http://www.haydenauto.com/upload/HaydenAuto/Documents/Cat_Imperial/2007-imperial-fan-clutches.pdf

http://www.haydenauto.com/featured%20products-fan%20clutches%20and%20fan%20blades/content.aspx

Using the first link above, you should be able to get a part number at least. With that, you should be able to find what would work best for you. It would also seem that a knowledgable parts guy (oops, parts person) could sort that out and find a clutch that works. This is one of those times where a parts store with paper catalogs really helps out. Our local Napa store still has paper catalogs to access at times like this. Your chain stores with button-pushers behind the counter will be of little or no use.

As shown at this first link, besides the depth you pointed out, the pilot hole comes in two diameters. The spacing of the 4 holes that hold the clutch to the blade need matched also, and so on.

Hope this helps

Richard
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 07:26:31 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Colorado56

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 10:59:24 AM »
Thanks for the info.  At this point I would take either a non thermal or thermal clutch if it would fit.  The problem is that Hayden does not have one with the spacing like mine.  I am going to take your advice and drive over to Napa today and see if they have a paper catalog to look through.  Funny thing is I purchases the original clutch from a old parts store that went out of business a few years ago and still have the box with my original clutch in it.  The box shows part number FC-50 manufactured by Hy power? 

3.00 fan spacing
.63 pilot hole
.75 pilot hole depth
2 1/8 fan mounting depth (I could make 2" work) longest Hayden makes is 1 3/4
3.31 overall clutch height
Thermal or non thermal (I think the reason I used a non thermal is because it had a shorter overall length)

Thanks for the advice. 

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 11:24:22 AM »
I'm not recommending them, but I have seen thin fan spacers too. Trouble with anything like a spacer is balance or wobble since they are generally cheaply made.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 02:16:02 PM »
Might want to try one of the forums that covers modified cars - just saying they do this all the time and you might find one or more that have already figured that out

Just saying, I wouldn't ask about a 68 Cyclone on a Corvette sight and expect allot of solid info ;)

Built REALLY modified cars for many years - so no hate here  8)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Colorado56

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 05:46:35 PM »
Thanks for the help.  I will try a couple of other forums to see what others have used.

Thanks, Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 07:56:45 PM »
Your local parts house should have a paper catalog from the makers of the fans clutches with all the measurements. Might take an hour to search through every application but sometimes that is what it takes to make things work. I've run Chevy drivelines in Ford and the opposite. With enough time and the book stock U joints could be found to make them fit but you always had to be careful when you went into the parts houses and they start asking ..."What year and make car do you have?"  :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)