Author Topic: Cleaning the colored dash pad  (Read 1636 times)

Offline roddster

Cleaning the colored dash pad
« on: October 24, 2014, 07:23:06 AM »
   Here we go.  67 GTA with an original red dash pad.  Seems the top part that is exposed to the sun looks on the darker side compared to the bottom side .  The comparison is Burgundy to the bottom's Cranberry.
  I've tried almost everything: vinegar/water, laquer thinner, prep solvent, carb cleaner, simple green, purple power, soft scrub, barkeepers friend.
  Still the same.  It's not the $125.00 for a new pad that bothers me.  Seems the new ones are too grainy.  Or has that been corrected?
  So, anything else I should try?  I'd really rather keep the original one although the car will not be a Concours contestant.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Cleaning the colored dash pad
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 07:55:01 AM »
KEEP THE PAD!!! The re-pops are horrible at best! If the pad isn't shrunken and the studs are still intact, you will not do better to replace it

If it were me, I would seriously consider pulling the pad and strip/prep it for a re-dye to get the coloring uniform.
The original material of these pads doesn't really like to be dyed either (because it is soft) and it will remain "tacky" to the touch for a while after being dyed, but it WILL dry out in time and looks fabulous when you are done.

Maybe others have a preferred different approach, but I have done this on other items (armrests and the likes) and have had marvelous results.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 08:23:44 AM »
The original material of these pads doesn't really like to be dyed either (because it is soft) and it will remain "tacky" to the touch for a while after being dyed, but it WILL dry out in time and looks fabulous when you are done.

What dye have you used?  I've dyed a couple dozen original pads and never had a problem with SEM dye.  The key is to apply thin coats and avoid a "flow" coat.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 09:11:45 AM »
What dye have you used?  I've dyed a couple dozen original pads and never had a problem with SEM dye.  The key is to apply thin coats and avoid a "flow" coat.

More recently, the job tasks I have had have been garden variety, NON-concours type and I bought the Krylon Fusion for them.
Previous jobs I have done (but years ago, so probably not the same chemicals) I've had mixed from Dupont and never ever had trouble with adhesion as long as I used an adhesion promoter. Back in the late 70's, I had an older body man help with suggestions on plastic and vinyl trim, before I ever heard of SEM paints or BULLDOG Adhesion promoter. His recommendations then were to scrub clean with Dawn (basic) detergent, not other brands for some reason I cannot remember, dry, get dust free, spray with a quick dose of lacquer thinner and shoot (Dupont) with a lacquer based, mixed for plastic, paint/dye.  I never had an issue with being "tacky" back then, but this Fusion product I did. I DID spray it lightly at first as you mentioned, but attributed it to the spray-bomb product and/or chemical changes of newer "Ozone-Safe" products.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments