Author Topic: Do I have a real factory GT? What say you?  (Read 10411 times)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Do I have a real factory GT? What say you?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 09:23:01 PM »
Those are '65 parking brake cable retainer brackets, outers.

Again, the rear frame rail reinforcements only apply to dual exhaust cars built after around mid to late March '65.  K codes before then (there were no GT A codes at the time), did not have that style rear hanger, nor the reinforcements in the frame rail.
The original post was for a Sept 65 build 66 Mustang "A" code so most of the replies were based on that criteria, and again, if you do not have those crush plate tubes in the frame rails, you do not have a factory "A" code GT. I have a friend with a 66 Shelby under restoration that had the rear frame rails replaced and the body guy did put in a pair of crush plates in the replacements (maybe the old ones?).
You are correct about the 65 parking brake retainers.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 09:38:34 PM »
If you had read all the posts, you would know my first reply regarding the rear frame rail reinforcements was due to the statement that "all dual exhaust cars" had it.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 1970shelbyguy

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 09:54:23 PM »
how was the rear tailpipes supported on a 64.5 k with transverse?
1970 gt500  grabber blue  june/69     1970  boss 302  metuchen  dec/69

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 11:21:27 PM »
how was the rear tailpipes supported on a 64.5 k with transverse?

Different style hangers at the rear, bolts threaded directly into the side of the frame rail.  Guessing the later style was the "improved" version.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 1970shelbyguy

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 08:41:15 PM »
if i see the fella ( from saskatchewan)with the 64.5 k convert at the international show this labour day i'll do the prostrate check. ( on the car!) .
1970 gt500  grabber blue  june/69     1970  boss 302  metuchen  dec/69

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 07:54:39 PM »
Picture of the snubber plate:
     The original poster never got an answer to his question.  Is there something ' GT ' about his pinion snubber plate and bumper  that the other models didn't have ?   Is this another method to identify a factory GT ?  Thanks, Brian
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 07:57:02 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 08:12:39 PM »
A HP GT maybe. The snubber plate for an "A" code non-GT is the same. It depended on the rear axle being a 8 inch or 9 inch.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 08:19:04 PM »
     The original poster never got an answer to his question. 

Not sure of the question he asked a little over four years ago. Reading through his posts I see a report of what he found followed by additional pictures and findings. Looks like the discussion took a right turn to discuss early 65 production

Are you referring to the "So is it likely that I have a real GT?"  Possibly but since the car has been altered over the years no way IMHO to tell from a distance

Is there something ' GT ' about his pinion snubber plate and bumper  that the other models didn't have ? 

Differences but not related to the GT package

Is this another method to identify a factory GT ? 

The determination is made IMHO through a process of discovery and findings including what should be there and what should not be there. No one or even a dozen things that would prove to a certainty.  And if there was posting a full list publically would also serve as a guide to those wishing to convert and possible deceive others :(

Just an opinion and concern

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2016, 08:42:07 PM »
Boy that was fast.  The OP seem to think " square snubber plate " was a qualifier for a GT. Charles asked him to post a picture.  The OP posted the picture and as you said the conversation took a right turn and the snubber plate was not mentioned again.  So... No nothing special about the snubber plate.  Would have been stock on all 65 A code cars.  Thanks,Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline sgl66

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2016, 08:43:21 PM »

if there was posting a full list publically would also serve as a guide to those wishing to convert and possible deceive others :(

Just an opinion and concern
+1

Although there are several sites giving guidance, none are complete. There are a couple things that I would immediately zero in on that are not generally known. Jeff if right, it's a combination of what is there and what isn't.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2016, 09:07:41 PM »
............. Would have been stock on all 65 A code cars. 

Guess we should address this first. The OP was asking about a 66 car (Sept 65 build - 6R07A105XXX)

.........The OP posted the picture and as you said the conversation took a right turn and the snubber plate was not mentioned again.  So... No nothing special about the snubber plate. ..............

The plate he posted appears to be the style with the pointed rear corners - as opposed to the rounded corner style or one of the others. Back edge is not flat so not really a square version 

The snubber plate is the same as I've seen on other  66 GT's

Jeff Speegle

Offline sgl66

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2016, 12:46:12 AM »
That is what is on mine. The rubber is bolted to the plate, not the bracket on the differential

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2016, 05:03:40 AM »
That is what is on mine. The rubber is bolted to the plate, not the bracket on the differential

With the possibility of the tread taking another hard right turn -

Is your car unrestored? Could the bumper have been added by a PO?  Of course since yours now has a bumper installed in the snubber we can't have you check for thread as we would otherwise

Since that is not normal nor expected for a K code. Completely different as you might realize ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline sgl66

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
With the possibility of the tread taking another hard right turn -

Is your car unrestored? Could the bumper have been added by a PO?  Of course since yours now has a bumper installed in the snubber we can't have you check for thread as we would otherwise

Since that is not normal nor expected for a K code. Completely different as you might realize ;)
I bought the car from the original owner and he didn't restore anything. When I did an undercarriage clean up, I left it alone. I have seen a few other pictures including this thread of the rubber mounted to the plate. I agree it may go against what is thought to be normal but considering this part is out of the way and really doesn't do much unless you're driving with the Dukes of Hazard, I don't see why owners would bother to change it. Mine was built in Metuchen known to occasionally stray from the norm  ???

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2016, 06:02:41 PM »
............., I don't see why owners would bother to change it. Mine was built in Metuchen known to occasionally stray from the norm  ???

I've seen owners take off the pinion mounted one (the bracket and bumper)  and place a bumper in the upper/floor mount on their K code just because they were uncertain and because their buddies car or one in a magazine article had one mounted there. Asked one one time why and their response was that if Ford didn't want you to mount a bumper there they wouldn't have put holes in the bracket to mount that bumper  ::)

Just offering another view on an "out of the ordinary" finding
Jeff Speegle