Author Topic: Door tag repair  (Read 3038 times)

Offline ruppstang

Door tag repair
« on: January 08, 2015, 08:47:40 AM »
Is there any way to restore original door tags? The black is very faded, the metal is ok. For a show car would you use a original like this or have a reproduction made?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Door tag repair
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 03:05:01 PM »
So long as the reproduction is exactly like the original and the original is kept to be preserved, I don't see the harm in putting a new one on.  Although for T-bred/Unrestored classes, this would be a deduction.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 04:02:56 PM »
Is there any way to restore original door tags? The black is very faded, the metal is ok. For a show car would you use a original like this or have a reproduction made?
I would much rather see a faded original then a pristine perfect repro. I have never deducted points for a tag with patina. But that is just me others may feel differently.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 04:45:04 PM »
Our black areas are faded badly too but had decided a long time ago to leave it alone. Sometimes, I get lucky when I do touch-ups and the results are decent but knew in the case of the tag, I wouldn't do it justice without it "looking" restored, definitely not as good as produced. Figured if the edges are straight and the rivets are tight, with the legible/raised numbers, good enough. I sure was sure anxious to read your replies to this post however. I learn something valuable and applicable EVERY TIME I log in and do "my reading"...so grateful to all of you!
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 06:05:36 PM »
I would much rather see a faded original then a pristine perfect repro. I have never deducted points for a tag with patina.

+1  But if it "bugs" you then story the original in the safe deposit box and put on a pretty new good reproduction (from Marti)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 01:29:59 AM »
I'm not sure I'd get away or want to put back my original, the PO scratched up the plate pretty bad trying to remove paint. I got a little aggressive (years ago before I fully understood preserving originality) removing the plate by chisling the rivets off rather than drilling them out. However, Marti Auto Works did a fantastic job with the reproduction plate, I was really impressed with the precision the stamping was done.
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 08:13:11 PM »
I'm not sure I'd get away or want to put back my original...
I guess by the feedback that I should use the Marti reproduction plate.
Pics of just how precise the Repro was stamped to the original.
Regards,
Dom

Offline rodster

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 09:06:50 PM »
It's an item generally not seen at cars shows so your choice.  Should the car be restored and you have it judged, the reproduction tag would look great, I would just have the original tag handy to prove the provenance of the car.

I don't mind the 'patina' on the original tag.  ;)
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 09:07:39 AM »
It's an item generally not seen at cars shows so your choice.  Should the car be restored and you have it judged, the reproduction tag would look great, I would just have the original tag handy to prove the provenance of the car.

I don't mind the 'patina' on the original tag.  ;)

I think that's the route I would go too.  Install the repro. plate, but keep the original in case you ever need it.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 09:33:29 AM »
Thanks guys, I will go down that path, if it wasn't so scratched up I wouldn't have mined as I do like a patina finish...
Regards,
Dom