Author Topic: Cleaning the underside  (Read 6136 times)

Offline machm1970

Cleaning the underside
« on: January 29, 2015, 01:36:06 PM »
I have a '70 convertible that I'm in the process of restoring. The underside is covered with dirt, (it came from Oklahoma back country). it's not rusty, just dirty. I power washed twice with no avail. I don't want to "spray bomb" it black like the cars on ebay, but I do want to clean it up. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

Offline Smokey 15

Re: Cleaning the underside
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 08:27:43 PM »
 I have sprayed the underside with Simple Green, let it soak, used a brush, then power washed it. Sometimes I had to go back over it.  I have also had good luck, when some grease was involved, using mineral spirits first, then the Simple Green to clean after.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 09:32:58 PM »
What ever you use test first. Be very careful and take your time using the least harsh product since oversprays will be removed when cleaning the undercarriage - almost no way around it when cleaning since even rubbing with a wet rag will remove some.

Have found some degreasers that would strip the paint off if left. Have used the same products watered down and using allot of rags. Once down to the original finish a wipe with wax and grease remover has been helpful for me - just make good you have plenty of ventilation and do small sections. a cheap wax with a cleaner can give a real nice final look - just stay away from sound deadener oversprays.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 12:20:22 AM »
I have a '70 convertible that I'm in the process of restoring. The underside is covered with dirt, (it came from Oklahoma back country). it's not rusty, just dirty. I power washed twice with no avail. I don't want to "spray bomb" it black like the cars on ebay, but I do want to clean it up. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt
Steam cleaning will work better then power washing.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 07:00:37 AM »
I carefully used mineral spirits, a soft brush and a tooth brush and A LOT OF CLEAN RAGS.  I laid on my back for a couple of weeks just gently scrubbing and wiping.  It didn't seem to soften what Ford put on there at all.  It removed everything else.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 07:16:54 AM »
Similar to others, I used a spray bottle of solvent (purchased from Tractor Supply) a parts cleaning brush and toothbrush style cleaning brushes wiping off the softened grease & filth with clean rags.  My project is on a rotisserie with everything removed and yet it was a very time-consuming task. I averaged only a few square feet per visit. As the solvent dries (on next visit) you can see sometimes an area here or there that needed a little more time but in the end, the results were marvelous! Likewise, I did not have to deal with any significant rust. Some areas that were bare metal, any surface rust was scrubbed off easily with scotch brite heavy duty scrubbing pads bought at the $$$ store.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 07:49:17 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline machm1970

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 10:40:59 AM »
Thanks Guys, I'm planning on going after it this weekend. 67gtasanjose, your car looks great!

Matt 

priceless

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 05:16:03 PM »
.......67gtasanjose, your car looks great........

Matt
Yes, a lot of factory detail. Looks like a good solid Mustang!!!

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 06:02:40 PM »
Thanks Guys, I'm planning on going after it this weekend. 67gtasanjose, your car looks great!

Matt 
Yes, a lot of factory detail. Looks like a good solid Mustang!!!

Thanks! Yes, it is fairly solid short of mice-urine caused rust & some rust on the inside of the floor caused by a previously plugged/leaking AC drain hose :'(

Awaiting the day the exterior paint comes off...About 6 more weeks of frigid air in Ohio to wait out ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline rodster

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 06:33:32 PM »
Steam cleaning will work better then power washing.

I've always been curious about steam cleaning.  When I worked on dump trucks we used a 'Steam Jenny' for industrial strength cleaning.  Jay Leno has a youtube video about an Optima steam cleaner that seems better suited for our kind of needs.  I would like to try it someday.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 02:32:37 AM »
I've always been curious about steam cleaning.  When I worked on dump trucks we used a 'Steam Jenny' for industrial strength cleaning.  Jay Leno has a youtube video about an Optima steam cleaner that seems better suited for our kind of needs.  I would like to try it someday.
they are great for greasy jobs . I had one for years and lent it out and the guy ruined it because he didn't follow directions.  They are great cleaners but it is steam and it can be dangerous if used improperly.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline machm1970

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 03:19:02 PM »
I went after it today with mineral spirits in a spray bottle and a stiff cleaning brush, it worked great! I found several places where I was able to find the factory grayish/green primer. They used a lot of sound deadener in some areas, especially where the bolts for the rear seatbelts come through.

Thanks,

Matt

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 06:52:38 PM »
I went after it today with mineral spirits in a spray bottle and a stiff cleaning brush, it worked great! I found several places where I was able to find the factory grayish/green primer. They used a lot of sound deadener in some areas, especially where the bolts for the rear seatbelts come through.

Don't get too carried away - take it slow, take pictures and document as you would through the layers.

Your likely seeing sound deadener and spray sealant (around the inner seat belt anchor) similar product - different process and purpose that you IMHO should separate as you go
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline machm1970

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 09:52:18 PM »
Here's a shot after scrubbing with mineral spirits and citrus cleaner.

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 01:35:44 PM »
 Nice work. Looks good.