Author Topic: Generator Bracket for A/C  (Read 7991 times)

Offline Chris

Re: Generator Bracket for A/C
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 11:40:41 PM »
The bearings can be bought at Napa. I did not disassemble mine, a friend did, so I'm not sure about the disassembly. I believe the metal cap on the front of the pulley comes off.
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 12:49:12 AM »
I'd guess he found the part number after he opened it up?

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 01:15:12 AM »
Dug around and *think* it may be a 6203rs bearing. Guess I'll take it apart first. Found a video on a cougar website to aid in taking it apart:
***removed video link**
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:00:31 PM by Lemondrop »

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 09:07:31 PM »
I removed the video link, DON'T USE IT!

I destroyed my pulley :(

I decided to try pressing it without removing the grease cover on the front first, as the cougar website showed. Our pulley has a snap ring on each side of the bearing and you have to remove the cover first to get it out. The later models the cougar used were press fit and did not require snap rings. Now I'll be looking for another pulley. It broke the ring land out of the pulley, so short of brazing it together, it is junk.

I know it is not a Mustang production part so finding another pulley itself may happen. The part number is C0AE-8A618-A. The (8A618) is the ending number of pretty much all of the pulleys of this size that I have found, including the incorrect stamped steel pieces.

Lucky enough we have the convert 64.5 so I have a pulley as we pulled it off and pressed the bearing out the correct way. Brazed a washer to the grease cover and then tapped the pulley with a hammer to pop it out.

Suppose when I'm assembling I'll take pics and post them so people in the future have the info and don't do something idiotic as I did.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 09:31:27 PM »
I removed the video link, DON'T USE IT!

I destroyed my pulley :(

I decided to try pressing it without removing the grease cover on the front first, as the cougar website showed. The Cougar video showed you had to remove the grease cover first.  Our pulley has a snap ring on each side of the bearing and you have to remove the cover first to get it out. The later models the cougar used were press fit and did not require snap rings I saw Don Rush remove a snap ring on one side; in fact, at the very end, he assembled it completely and noticed the left over snap ring, saying he had to remove the grease cap, starting all over!. Now I'll be looking for another pulley. It broke the ring land out of the pulley, so short of brazing it together, it is junk.

I know it is not a Mustang production part so finding another pulley itself may happen. The part number is C0AE-8A618-A. The (8A618) is the ending number of pretty much all of the pulleys of this size that I have found, including the incorrect stamped steel pieces.

Lucky enough we have the convert 64.5 so I have a pulley as we pulled it off and pressed the bearing out the correct way. Brazed a washer to the grease cover and then tapped the pulley with a hammer to pop it out.

Suppose when I'm assembling I'll take pics and post them so people in the future have the info and don't do something idiotic as I did.

Did I mis-interpret what you did?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 11:10:26 PM »
Yes, there is a small snap ring under the cap. My pulley had the small ring and a large ring. The pulley in the video he pressed down on the pulley itself to pop the cap off, because his pulley was press-fit to the bearing. My pulley you can just about slip the bearing into the pulley by finger pressure. It presses onto the shaft (where he forgot to put the snap ring on at) like the one in the video. My pulley I should have removed the cap and then TWO snap rings prior to removal. All in all my pulley has 3 snap rings holding it together.

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 12:05:57 AM »
Bearing is a Federal part # 1203RR. I found a timken cross reference guide and they list theirs as 203FF. I'll edit this as I find more numbers, if I do.

National  Ball Bearing
Part No 203-FF
Ordered from Advance Auto Parts for instore pick-up. I'll update tomorrow when I get it, for fitment.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:24:10 AM by Lemondrop »

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 06:19:00 PM »
National  Ball Bearing Part No 203-FF fit like a glove.

So, for anyone in the future that does not want a doofus award........

Remove the cap on the end of the hub. (You can drill a hole and insert a sheetmetal screw, which requires welding the hole and smoothing it. The other options are tacking a washer to the cap with a MIG or doing as I did on the second and tack it with a torch and brazing rod. Hit the washer with the torch when you have it removed and melt the brass, which makes the washer fall off. Clean up with sander to remove the remaining brass. If MIG attached, grind the tack weld off and then smooth surface after the washer is off.)

Step two: remove two snap rings that are under the cap. One is approx 1.25 in diameter and the other is about .5 in. diameter. The smaller holds the bearing onto the stub shaft of the idler mount. The other retains the bearing in the pulley itself. I had a hard time with the larger snap ring as once compressed it it just about exactly the size of the bore you must slip it out of.

Step three: Using a press, place pulley flat on the press table, with the hub of the stub shaft exposed. Using some sort of filler stock (I used a socket wrench) press down on the center of the stub shaft hub, pushing it out of the pulley bearing.

Step four: Flip over the pulley on the press table. You may need stock to give ample room for the bearing to come out of the pulley, between the pulley and the table. Using stock (again I used a socket wrench) press on the center of the bearing and push it out of the pulley.

Your pulley will now have an open hole with one snap ring left in it, as it has a snap ring on each side of the pulley to retain the bearing. Clean the pulley and stub shaft assembly (bead blast, wire wheel, soak in evaporust, etc.).

Once clean, place new bearing into pulley assembly opposite to the snap ring that was left in. Mine slipped in 1/4 of the way before it stuck. I tapped the bearing lightly on the bench with a socket as the driver. It would be better to use the press and push it in until it makes contact with the snap ring (less abusive to the bearing than tapping it with a hammer). Once the bearing is seated against the snap ring, you should be able to install the other large snap ring into the pulley bore.

After the pulley is assembled with the new bearing, slip it on the end of the stub shaft. Place the assembly on the press table and use stock (again I used a socket) to push on the INNER bearing hub ONLY!!!! and press the bearing/pulley assembly until seated on the stub shaft. Once it is seated the smaller snap ring can be installed in its groove. Using a socket, I tapped the grease cap back into place, much like a freeze plug. I also placed a dab of grease on the end of the shaft, where the smaller snap ring was located prior to installing the cap. I figured it would prevent corrosion inside there, if moisture got to it.

Got in a hurry or I would have snapped pics. Took maybe 5 minutes to have it assembled.

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 08:39:19 PM »
Got the brackets installed finally, seems everything fits and lines up. Don't have the A/C idler on there as I need to find a 4 3/4" long 3/8-16 bolt.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 08:50:35 PM »
Looks good, are you going to be painting the bypass hose and clamps black?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2015, 10:43:51 PM »
Looks good, are you going to be painting the bypass hose and clamps black?

Been back and forth on painting them since they are pretty :)

I have touch up work all over the front of the engine, with unpainted bolts and a couple scratches. I'm sure I'll tap one of the clamps with paint and then blast them fully in disgust.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2015, 11:02:12 PM »
Might as well paint the water pump bolts too...  and find a correct t-stat housing.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2015, 11:09:48 PM »
Might as well paint the water pump bolts too...  and find a correct t-stat housing.
Tstat housing was on my old 260, what is incorrect about it? I figured it was original, not that it matters with the 4BBL Weiand intake up top.

Offline Chris

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 12:44:20 PM »
See this post for a picture of the correct housing (my post third or so down):

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5056.msg28203#msg28203

The casting number is C4OE-8594-A. There is a description and picture in Mannel's book on page 4-46.
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2015, 02:19:17 PM »
What does the top look like? Aluminum or steel?

I don't know if the plug boss is the incorrect part or not. Mine has no plug and or was ever drilled and threaded for a plug.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 02:27:33 PM by Lemondrop »