Author Topic: NEW Scott Drake Rally-Pac DIP Switch Settings..  (Read 5387 times)

Offline jwc66k

Re: NEW Scott Drake Rally-Pac DIP Switch Settings..
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 12:18:10 PM »
According to those instructions, the tach is not compatible with the original Ford design, and uses an extra wire to the - side of the coil.
According to the wiring diagram on page 3 (figure 3) of the link to the VMF, the tach is in line with the coil. It's wire D, E, D1 and E1.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 08:20:33 PM »
According to the wiring diagram on page 3 (figure 3) of the link to the VMF, the tach is in line with the coil. It's wire D, E, D1 and E1.
Jim
I see that, but on page one it says the tach signal line goes to the - side of the coil whereas the original connected to the coil line.  On page 2, it says to run a long line out to the - side of the coil.  E goes to the back of the ignition post, which is ACC power.  I contend that this is an aftermarket tach. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2016, 09:22:13 PM »

I don't think that there is any question that the Scott Drake Rally-Pac Tachs hook up to the negative side of the coil just like most Aftermarket tachs.  Scott Drake specifically designed it that way so the tach could be used with multiple type ignition systems.  A definite plus with today's upgraded restomod cars...and the car WILL NOT die if the Rally-Pac Tach fails UNLIKE the original OEM type hook-up...so in my opinion, It is a Definite and welcomed improvement.  If one wishes to have an exact duplicate "Concours" tach in every way just like the Original Tachs installed in the Original OEM FORD Rally-Pacs, then they need to purchase a BLUE OVAL brand Rally-Pac.  I should know because I have one in my other '66 Convertible. The Instruction sheets that are included with the BLUE OVAL brand Concours Rally-Pacs are just copies of the original 1960's FORD RALLY-PAC Instructions sheets!..as they hook-up exactly like the original OEM FORD RALLY-PACS..

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2016, 12:26:19 AM »
I see that, but on page one it says the tach signal line goes to the - side of the coil whereas the original connected to the coil line.  On page 2, it says to run a long line out to the - side of the coil.  E goes to the back of the ignition post, which is ACC power.  I contend that this is an aftermarket tach.
This was documented in the November Mustang Monthly. It's not wired as an original but does require an extra wire to the coil. Pity.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2016, 07:46:48 PM »
I thought that I would update this thread and finally finish it...

Here are some promised OLD and NEW Pics of the '65 Scott Drake High Profile Rally-Pac so you can see the differences from the old version versus the Newer Improved version available now. The Newer Improved units are shipping now.

Previous Older Version (Missing Fonts, Wrong Fonts, Etc.):

Newer Improved Version (Corrected Fonts, "MUSTANG" Font Added. :

To still Add to the confusion, The Newer Improved units are being shipped with the Older version still pictured on the box.  See Box Pic below:

And to finally Add, If you want to Switch the DIP Switch settings so the Newer Improved Rally-Pac will work with the I6  6cyl engine, The DIP SWITCH settings should be set to look like the pic below:

I had purchased my "Newer Improved" '65 High Profile Rally-Pac picyured above from CJ Pony Parts for those wanting to know.

Happy Rally-Pac'king!

:o)

Tony K.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 07:50:27 PM by NEFaurora »
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001