Author Topic: Original Ford fenders and quarter panels  (Read 2512 times)

Offline clemmie_01

Original Ford fenders and quarter panels
« on: May 18, 2017, 08:47:18 PM »
So lets say a guy has a full set of fenders and quarters from Ford still in the paper wrappers, what would they be worth?

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Original Ford fenders and quarter panels
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 09:38:19 PM »
Depends upon year and model.  Fastback quarters from Ford command very good money; I've seen north of $1k each.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline clemmie_01

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 10:05:23 PM »
I believe that they would be for 65 66 coupe,  they came with the car we bought and it is a 65 k code coupe. I have not opened them but the one package I can see without digging them out is stamped C5ZZ-16005-A

Offline clemmie_01

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 10:10:39 PM »
Picture of one of the corners

Online jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 12:01:18 AM »
Those are standard NOS replacement fenders for all Mustang models 64 thru 66, Hardtop, Convertible and Fastback. Depending on condition, no dings, no scratches and no rust, who knows. A full set of pictures would help.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline clemmie_01

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 09:22:39 AM »
We are new to this so please correct me if I am wrong, but I understood NOS to be currently manufactured parts that match the original stamping. These fenders were purchased at the same time as the car along with a second long block and many other parts still in the original boxes so I haven't taken off that packaging as I have been told it will hurt the value.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 11:32:15 AM »
There will be no avoiding removing the panels from the covering if you want to sell them for top dollar.

As mentioned, these are just ordinary Ford replacement parts.  The red-oxide primed pieces are generally more valuable than the black e-coat parts as the tooling was wearing out when the e-coat ones were stamped (i.e edges not as crisp).

Also, while the parts book may state correct for 65-66, there may be differences compared to original assembly line parts.  Those differences usually only become important when a car is being restored to concours level.  For 95% of the other cars, these parts will be fine and fit much better than most reproductions of the same.  Although, do not expect them to fit as good as assembly line parts without at least some adjustments/tweaking.

As far as value goes, NOS red oxide front fenders can go from $300-800 each, red oxide coupe rear quarters, $300-600 each
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 01:45:12 PM »
Value might be a function of location, too. West Coast owners/restorers are more accustomed to finding rust free parts in their salvage yards.

Those of us on the East Coast believe that rust came as a standard feature (like four wheel brakes) on all Mustangs when ordered. We would probably be willing to pay more.

Mark
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline clemmie_01

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 02:06:50 PM »
Right Mark,
I am in Minnesnowta so as much as I read about bare metal in Concours accurate restorals, I can't bring myself to leave anything unpainted even with parking it during the cold snowy months. I will see about getting some pictures once the wife is home so as I have more hands to carefully take the packaging off, it has been on there for many years after all.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 02:57:23 PM »
One other detail item, just as an aside, there will most likely be yellow stenciled 'C5ZZ' part numbers stenciled on the back of these parts.  Please don't refer to those as 'factory markings', as those are the numbers exclusively used for ordering replacement parts.  The assembly line fenders/quarters never had those.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline clemmie_01

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 03:03:47 PM »
We got a fender and a quarter out and took the paper off and I took some pics, here is the one front fender.

Offline clemmie_01

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 03:09:49 PM »
Here is a quarter Thank you Caspian for the aside, we are really enjoying learning about the Mustangs history and part of the history of our car is why my wife had to have it when she found it.

Online jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 04:54:10 PM »
Those a definitely NOS, the labels have a date of 1975 (turn your camera upside down to get the labels better readable) so the parts were made after 1975.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 10:27:29 AM »
Those a definitely NOS, the labels have a date of 1975 (turn your camera upside down to get the labels better readable) so the parts were made after 1975.
Jim

The parts were shipped from the depot after 1975. The label has nothing to do with when the parts were made.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Online jwc66k

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 04:18:07 PM »
The parts were shipped from the depot after 1975. The label has nothing to do with when the parts were made.
True. They still are NOS as opposed to factory installed.
Jim