Author Topic: Recomendation for book about 69-70 Shelby Mustang?  (Read 3003 times)

Recomendation for book about 69-70 Shelby Mustang?
« on: May 30, 2013, 04:02:45 PM »
Interested in reading about the history of the 69-70 Shelby. Mostly interested in how Ford took over the car from Shelby, the assembly process in Michigan,
the things that almost happened (Boss 302 engine, etc.) design studies, factory photos, transition of 69 cars to 70's, etc. etc.
Not so much looking for info on previous years or pics of restored cars

Curious if anyone has any suggestions on what book(s) might be along these lines.

I looked in the library section, and did not see anything. If this is wrong place for this, please move.

Thanks much.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Recomendation for book about 69-70 Shelby Mustang?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 08:50:18 PM »
Don't know of any book about production for what your looking for. Would guess that the new registry will have some new information in it so that would be my best guess. Of course we're waiting for it to be printed and released
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 12:25:19 PM »
Don't know of any book about production for what your looking for. Would guess that the new registry will have some new information in it so that would be my best guess. Of course we're waiting for it to be printed and released
+1 .I used to own the Boss 302 Shelby and never found anything in publications on that .New owner had to do his own research . You will have to do the same on the other things you mentioned or wait for the new SAAC registry to come out next year.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 10:05:17 PM »
+1 .I used to own the Boss 302 Shelby and never found anything in publications on that .New owner had to do his own research . You will have to do the same on the other things you mentioned or wait for the new SAAC registry to come out next year.

There was a Boss 302 Shelby?  I've never heard of that, but then, I'm not as keen a Shelby historian as others.  Do tell us a bit more about this car...
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 11:03:17 PM »
There was a Boss 302 Shelby?  I've never heard of that, but then, I'm not as keen a Shelby historian as others.  Do tell us a bit more about this car...

Remember seeing it for sale though didn't car - on the other hand Bob purchased it and kept if for a while. Lot of stories  related to the car and configuration that some owners choose but will let Bob tell the tale. ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 12:46:21 AM »
Remember seeing it for sale though didn't car - on the other hand Bob purchased it and kept if for a while. Lot of stories  related to the car and configuration that some owners choose but will let Bob tell the tale. ;)
It was a car that was meant to be but never completed . It was on the books to be finished out in typical 69 fiberglass but was only half done at the time of the announcement of the end of the Shelby program . That shut down all engineering projects and it was pushed to a corner and forgotten.Ford documents indicate that there were 30 in the pilot program . It only got as far as 1. It had all of the Shelby conversions done to the interior and back half with the front end left to do.That seems to  apparently follow with the assemblyline line procedure according to historical photos of the assemblyline. The current owner did wonders contacting everyone under the son at Ford and Shelby and documenting everything and nailing down the info. the evidence collected was so compelling If it were a murder trail the guy would be swinging LOL.The uncompleted car was sold to a ford employee who put a regular mustang front end on the car ether because it was easier to get or to help slip a engineering car past the people who were not supposed to let that happen. I owned it for about 5 years I think . After the unibody came back from redi strip I knew It was going to be a huge project which was too much for me at the time and I sold  it . It went through two other owners before the current owner who did a reasonable job restoring it to a "what it was supposed to be " He took a little owner license and treated it to a 70 Shelby look instead of a 69 which is stretch but looked admittedly good. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:50:13 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mustang65ld

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 01:41:35 AM »
Is this the website to the car you are referring?
http://www.gcodeboss69shelby.com/

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 02:32:10 AM »
Is this the website to the car you are referring?
http://www.gcodeboss69shelby.com/
That looks like it as it is restored to today.