Author Topic: 1966 factory air. Video, help diagnose problem. *Resolved*  (Read 2769 times)

Offline sed6

Re: 1966 factory air. Video, help diagnose problem.
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 12:45:21 AM »
You should find that the brace helps a lot.  It counteracts the natural "back and forth" due the stroke of the pistons will give the compressor.  When my compressor is running I do not see any vibration of the AC compressor and any RPM.  Also, in my case, I do not ever feel a vibration in the steering wheel when the AC is running.  I will hear a light rumble and slight vibration in the floorboard (very minor) if the engine is around 1600 RPM.  At cruising speed (e.g. engine around 2000 - 2200 rpm I don't feel anything at all). 

Ron

I'm guessing you have the brace? Could you post a few pics of it installed and the two attachments points? I'd like to see how it mounts and maybe determine of it'll clear my monte carlo bar. Thanks!

Offline rodster

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2017, 02:53:54 PM »
Not 100% sure if this is 'correct' but gives you an idea of the connection points on my 65.

1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 03:48:37 PM »
I'm guessing you have the brace? Could you post a few pics of it installed and the two attachments points? I'd like to see how it mounts and maybe determine of it'll clear my monte carlo bar. Thanks!

I had mentioned in post #6 that I noticed that you have an Monte Carlo bar installed.  I do not know if the AC anti-vibration brace and the Monte Carlo bar can be installed at the same time (without modification).  The picture that Rodster provided illustrate the attachment points (compressor connected to intake manifold).

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 06:14:32 PM »
That bar is installed wrong.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 06:17:47 PM by ChrisV289 »
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2017, 07:21:18 PM »
All sound advise you have received from fellow members but I might add a few points of interest.

There is fake R-12 out there so be careful if you buy some online.

There is nothing wrong with using R134 if you know what you are doing.

Condenser fins might look clean but they are not clean unless you use sodium hydroxide to get them shiny but again, you must have experience with this stuff because it will eat metal alive if used improperly. A condenser that looks clean but has grey oxidation on the fins loses about 30% capacity which can cause liquid slugging.  Liquid slugging is the kiss of death to a compressor.  The inside coil must be clean as well.  In a properly maintained AC system, half the refrigerant should be in the condenser and half in the inside coil.  If a coil is dirty then the system is thrown out of balance.  Since the returning refrigerant cools the compressor it's important that everything is checked especially the inside blower and the expansion valve or fixed orifice.  Vent temperature by itself means nothing if the blower is on low or does not move enough air because the squirrel cage fan is dirty.

If you know the temperatures of the pipes you know the pressure since R-12 like all/most refrigerants are predictable.  Using a pressure temperature chart will tell you if the system has R-12 in it or something else. I would need to consult a factory service manual insofar as the oil level and everything else.  Some oil mist circulates to lubricate the compressor moving parts but I'm not sure.

I know that a fan shroud and a thermostatic fan would be a good idea with AC on a early mustang.

Offline sed6

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2017, 07:47:36 PM »
So I fixed it! I replaced the old Delco AC belt with a correct one from Marti. Vibrations gone! Who knew something so simple and obviously overlooked would do the trick! Thanks everyone for the input!

Offline rodster

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 10:34:50 PM »
So I fixed it! I replaced the old Delco AC belt with a correct one from Marti. Vibrations gone! Who knew something so simple and obviously overlooked would do the trick! Thanks everyone for the input!

Congrats!  Funny, first thing I noticed in your video was the cogged belt and wondered about that right away.  I'm thinking the new belt from Marti isn't cogged?

That bar is installed wrong.

In what way?  To my old eyes looks like the bars in the pictures are installed the same way.

I'm not sure the bar I have is correct, my car was missing it so I just picked one up after doing some research on what was correct.  I might even have an old post on here.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 10:37:22 PM by rodster »
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2017, 11:54:11 PM »

Congrats!  Funny, first thing I noticed in your video was the cogged belt and wondered about that right away.  I'm thinking the new belt from Marti isn't cogged?

In what way?  To my old eyes looks like the bars in the pictures are installed the same way.

I'm not sure the bar I have is correct, my car was missing it so I just picked one up after doing some research on what was correct.  I might even have an old post on here.

You know what it is, your valve cover and the position of the oil cap is throwing me off...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline sed6

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 05:40:09 PM »

Correct. Replaced all three belts, PS, AC, and Alt, all from Marti and none are cogged.