Author Topic: Darn it - Me Again - 66 Throttle Spring Bracket photo?  (Read 4617 times)

Offline 6S1284

Darn it - Me Again - 66 Throttle Spring Bracket photo?
« on: August 24, 2017, 10:47:28 PM »
Does anyone have a close up of throttle linkage and spring/bracket -
I searched but did not find anything.  I found some shots for other code motors and later motors.

Thanks !

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 12:36:52 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Darn it - Me Again - 66 Throttle Spring Bracket photo?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:22:09 AM »
Since this is for a Shelby what carb does your car have?

Here is a picture of a Holley equipped Shelby from the time period

If Autolite there is a discussion in the Mustang area but I'm still finding at least 66 GT350s with Autolites routed differently than what is considered "normal" on Mustangs

Might be the guy that swapped the intake manifolds at the engine plant  ::)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 12:37:02 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 6S1284

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 12:58:40 AM »
Autolite -  is that a bracket on the carb stud? 

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 12:59:43 AM »
Since this is for a Shelby what carb does your car have?

If Autolite there is a discussion in the Mustang area but I'm still finding at least 66 GT350s with Autolites routed differently than what is considered "normal" on Mustangs

Might be the guy that swapped the intake manifolds at the engine plant  ::)
In the second picture It appears that the spring in this picture has been disconnected from the normal spot on the throttle rod and is just laying not connected to anything . I mocked up a carb and spring laying in the exact spot to mimic the picture to confirm my suspicions . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 09:17:17 AM »
Nice catch Bob.  Agree.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline 6S1284

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 10:41:31 AM »
So does that spring go "backwards" from where it is now and attach to the bend in the throttle linkage?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 11:26:41 AM »
So does that spring go "backwards" from where it is now and attach to the bend in the throttle linkage?
"Mustangs", yes...I'll let the Shelby guys confirm for your application (but I would say "Yes")
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 12:53:04 PM »
In the second picture It appears that the spring in this picture has been disconnected from the normal spot on the throttle rod and is just laying not connected to anything . I mocked up a carb and spring laying in the exact spot to mimic the picture to confirm my suspicions .
Maybe, maybe not. A blow-up of the original shows the end of the spring hooked on part of the throttle shaft arm.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 6S1284

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 01:03:40 PM »
Maybe, maybe not. A blow-up of the original shows the end of the spring hooked on part of the throttle shaft arm.
Jim

Yes -  I just did that and you can see the coils of the spring are un-relaxed such that it IS attached to something.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 03:53:19 PM »
Yes -  I just did that and you can see the coils of the spring are un-relaxed such that it IS attached to something.
if you read my post you will read that I mocked up a hipo carb on a shelby intake and looked at it from all angles. With that said the first hand inspection of the real thing in comparison to the picture blown up or not indicates that this is not any kind of factory secondary attachment point for the spring. If you are still skeptical I suggest you do what I did.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 05:01:21 PM »
Autolite -  is that a bracket on the carb stud?

Yes on both versions and V8 engines of this year and type

As far as the picture I posted

Its attached to the lower end of the throttle arm at the end of the throttle shaft ;)

Agree I could have picked a better angle or another example that showed it better So here is another

With that offered can't suggest that we know this is the only way they were installed. They may have been installed and attached the typical Mustang way also during periods of production
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:14:44 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 6S1284

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 10:16:19 PM »
if you read my post you will read that I mocked up a hipo carb on a shelby intake and looked at it from all angles. With that said the first hand inspection of the real thing in comparison to the picture blown up or not indicates that this is not any kind of factory secondary attachment point for the spring. If you are still skeptical I suggest you do what I did.

Understood -  thanks for that re - clarification and for your help!

Offline 6S1284

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 10:19:12 PM »
You guys are so darn helpful - 

Thanks again

Dave Shaffer  and 6S1284

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 11:15:03 PM »
Here is what I was looking at when I mocked up the carb and spring . Given my scenario you can understand my conclusion better . After Jeff posted his side veiw picture I now see how it was attached on that carb. On my carb the attachment point was not viable  hence I thought it was unattached . On may throttle arm there is no additional hole for the spring. When I  tried to attach it similar to the blow up picture but without a hole it appears to be in a bind. Unless it has a hole it does not seem practical. I am not that up on my Ford Hipo carbs. I typically only work with the Holley's . Is the missing hole on my hipo carb throttle arm out of the ordinary or do they all have a hole in the throttle arm for a spring . I have only seen them attached to the accelerator crook of the arm so the alternate attachment  looked odd to me. Help me understand.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 11:23:32 PM »
Here is what I was looking at when I mocked up the carb and spring . Given my scenario you can understand my conclusion better . After Jeff posted his side veiw picture I now see how it was attached on that carb. On my carb the attachment point was not viable  hence I thought it was unattached . On may throttle arm there is no additional hole for the spring. When I  tried to attach it similar to the blow up picture but without a hole it appears to be in a bind. Unless it has a hole it does not seem practical. I am not that up on my Ford Hipo carbs. I typically only work with the Holley's . Is the missing hole on my hipo carb throttle arm out of the ordinary or do they all have a hole in the throttle arm for a spring . I have only seen them attached to the accelerator crook of the arm so the alternate attachment  looked odd to me. Help me understand.

The spring in your example is installed from a different direction and it appears the end at the spring end was inserted first them to the throttle arm
Jeff Speegle