Author Topic: C4 Transmission Removal  (Read 915 times)

Offline ChrisV289

C4 Transmission Removal
« on: January 03, 2018, 09:33:23 PM »
I am going to be removing the c4 automatic transmission out of my 65 for a rebuild since it is not going into reverse all of the time.  I will be using a transmission jack and the car will be supported on some big jack stands.  I have read the shop manual and a web page on someone pulling it out of a 67.  He states to put some wood shims under the cross bar by the oil pan.  My friend said to take some mechanic wire and tie the engine to the cowl braces.  What are people's thoughts on this?  Any other pointers you can think of.  I talked to the transmission shop and he suggested a new torque converter.  Any thoughts on this, I believe it ti be the original. Any downside or upside to changing or keeping the original? If it does get replaced should I keep the original?  Any demand for that?  First time doing this....

Thanks,
Chris
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline jwc66k

Re: C4 Transmission Removal
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 12:15:08 AM »
Chris,
I supported the rear of the engine to drop the transmission, then replaced that with the hooks of an adjustable tie down strap on the rear of the engine to a couple of bolts at the firewall-shock tower brackets for support, sort of like the wire you mentioned. It was easy to move the car around
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 04:56:37 PM »
I have the car up in the air now. Looking at it, do I need to disconnect the y pipe from the exhaust manifolds and where it connects to the mid pipe? I feel the trans won't come out otherwise
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 05:25:11 PM »
I have the car up in the air now. Looking at it, do I need to disconnect the y pipe from the exhaust manifolds and where it connects to the mid pipe? I feel the trans won't come out otherwise

Going to make it allot easier.  Guess you could wrestle the trans around it but your going to spill allot more fluid and increase the chance of dropping the trans allot more IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)