Author Topic: Cleaning methods for an unrestored car  (Read 6822 times)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Cleaning methods for an unrestored car
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 09:29:42 PM »
I'm sure WD-40 would be MUCH more expensive, but I feel a little safer under a car with a can of WD-40. ;)

I noticed that too.  Probably a good idea to dilute 50/50.  I worked on restoring a 50's soda fountain and we used diluted Dawn dish-washing liquid and that worked well too.

I get a lot of strange looks when I state I used gas, especially when they see that I am a smoker!

Well, first, I never smoked when working with gas.  I kept the garage bay door open, and the car was up on my lift.  I used a metal oil drain pan, and poured a pint or so of gas into the pan, which was located outside of the garage.  I then dipped a rag in the gas, took it inside, and went to work.  When it became difficult to remove grime, that told me that the gas had evaporated from the rag.  Back outside, dip, back inside, repeat over and over.  I went through 3 or 4 five-pound bags of rags.  A very safe process!
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline craig429

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 08:22:38 PM »
Bob,
Where do you get your Blue Coral "wheel magic"?  I can't seem to find it and on the web every place shows it is not available?
1967 Mustang Sport Sprint Coupe 289 Auto, AC, PS, CA Smog, Built April 1967 in San Jose.  Unrestored, one family owned and in my possession since 1980.
1969 Mustang Mach1 390
1970 Mustang Mach 1 428SCJ Auto, PS, PDB, medium bright blue metallic with White Shaker, built Sept 12, 69 in Metuchen

Offline GD64

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 07:51:55 AM »
I have been asked to detail a 64 Galaxie that I feel would best served by cleaning "as is" rather than disturbing as it fairly original.

Any tips/ cleaning agents etc on cleaning suspension components?

Kind regards
64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model
390 4V, Dual Range Automatic
Oaville, Ontario Assembly plant.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 03:46:44 PM »
I have been asked to detail a 64 Galaxie that I feel would best served by cleaning "as is" rather than disturbing as it fairly original.
Any tips/ cleaning agents etc on cleaning suspension components?
A small scraper for big chunks; several different size heavy bristle and medium grade brushes; double 00 steel wool (lightly used); paint thinner; Simple Green (or Krud Kutter from Home Depot); and others.
There's a list of don't use items: Evaporust (you need to cover the surface with paint as the bare metal is exposed); a wire wheel; a file; a scraper (basically anything that removes the surface finish, the patina); acid based products.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline GD64

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 08:39:42 AM »
A small scraper for big chunks; several different size heavy bristle and medium grade brushes; double 00 steel wool (lightly used); paint thinner; Simple Green (or Krud Kutter from Home Depot); and others.
There's a list of don't use items: Evaporust (you need to cover the surface with paint as the bare metal is exposed); a wire wheel; a file; a scraper (basically anything that removes the surface finish, the patina); acid based products.
Jim

Thanks for taking the time Jim.
Kind Regards :)
64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model
390 4V, Dual Range Automatic
Oaville, Ontario Assembly plant.

Offline SamG

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 07:44:17 PM »
I'd like to see the price of WD-40 at gallon quantities

You can generally buy gallons of WD at Lowes or Home Depot for about $20.  I buy it that way and put it in spray bottles...