Author Topic: Rear brake cables  (Read 9196 times)

Offline ruppstang

Rear brake cables
« on: August 15, 2015, 08:57:00 AM »
Does any one know of a source for concours 67 rear brake cables? We ordered a concours set from NPD and they came with no rubber protectors on them.
AMK use to have them but does not any more.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: Rear brake cables
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 10:35:08 AM »
The ones from inline tube are pretty good but order for 68 not 67
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 01:19:12 PM »
This thread might save a future one for me.

So, does anyone sell just the rubber protectors/wipers where the cable exits the casing? My cables will work out OK, but the rubber tips are cooked/cracked/junk.

67 San Jose, built 11/66 if it matters
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 10:02:53 PM »
Why order a 68?, I need a 67 set with the equal cable length.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 10:05:37 PM »
This thread might save a future one for me.

So, does anyone sell just the rubber protectors/wipers where the cable exits the casing? My cables will work out OK, but the rubber tips are cooked/cracked/junk.

67 San Jose, built 11/66 if it matters

I think AMK has the tips, I may have some that I ordered by mistake once. Usually it is the rubber hose on the out side of the hosing that is bad.

Offline mach1one

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 01:11:46 AM »
Its my understanding that 67s  brake cables did not have a outside rubber casing like the 68s?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 02:34:31 AM »
Its my understanding that 67s  brake cables did not have a outside rubber casing like the 68s?
Yes ,67 e brake cables should have the outside rubber casing on the backing plate end of both cables.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 09:26:19 AM »
I think AMK has the tips, I may have some that I ordered by mistake once. Usually it is the rubber hose on the out side of the hosing that is bad.

OK, I looked at my 67's cables this morning, it wasn't the tips that were cracked, it is the rubber insulators where they go over the springs.

The rubber insulators seem to be positioned directly over the springs, but begin several inches away from the backing plates on my example.

At least they are still here, I suppose maybe I'll try and repair the splits in the rubber.

Hmmm, any ideas what the "Right Stuff" to use might be to fill in the cracks ???
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:29:34 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 01:56:08 PM »
OK, I looked at my 67's cables this morning, it wasn't the tips that were cracked, it is the rubber insulators where they go over the springs.

The rubber insulators seem to be positioned directly over the springs, but begin several inches away from the backing plates on my example.

At least they are still here, I suppose maybe I'll try and repair the splits in the rubber.

Hmmm, any ideas what the "Right Stuff" to use might be to fill in the cracks ???
Sorry to inform that nothing that looks correct just things that look some what  better. Sometimes you can find nice originals . Most have the cracked rubber. Western cars have a better chance of having good metal but cracked rubber. Eastern cars better rubber but worse metal. Fill in cracks put some heat shrink over it and it still doesn't look like it is suppose to. Many years ,many restorers ,many ideas and nothing that will pass muster . Just letting you know that this is a decades old problem that many have tried to tackle. If it doesn't work out then your not the only one.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 02:07:05 PM »
...Just letting you know that this is a decades old problem that many have tried to tackle. If it doesn't work out then your not the only one.

Why order a 68?, I need a 67 set with the equal cable length.

OK, so let's fast-forward this past the trying to patch my western cables with good, functioning cables and split rubber insulators...
As Marty has asked, why would the 68's be a better choice?
Richard Urch

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 04:42:21 PM »

I am no expert what so ever, but when you want a 'right stuff' to fix cracks in rubber components, I would chose Sikaflex Marine Deck caulk
(link : http://www.sika.com/en/marine-redirect/marine-market/marine/leisure-boats-yachts/01a006sa02400.html)
U need the 290i DC
It is a flexible rubber that is used for filling the linear 'gaps' between teak boards on a yacht.
Therefore, it has the pleasant advantage that you can sand it! :D
It remains very flexible (imagine the temperature differences between sun and no sun, winter/summer, raining and afterwoods sun shine,...)
And, it's only available in black finish  ;D
Prepare yourself for a nasty job, but when fully dried/cured you can sand it in any shape.
Again, I am no car mechanic/builder/expert but when a part isn't available anymore, you have to improvise ::)
Just an opinion, naturally.
Kind regards,

Jeroen
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 04:44:31 PM by Fastback2013 »
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline preaction

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 12:02:15 AM »
I never thought of verifying if these cables are correct or not for a 67.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 09:30:59 AM »
Revisiting this one:

Any new ideas on restoring the hose over the cables or are we still back at ordering NPD cables?

Tim never did explain WHY order 68's not 67's
Richard Urch

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 02:23:29 PM »
I never thought of verifying if these cables are correct or not for a 67.

I just looked at my mostly unmolested 67 SJ car and those look like the cables on my car (see pic). The axle is out of the car and all cables and lines were taped to the axle.

How in the world would one clean up these cables?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 02:57:28 PM »
How in the world would one clean up these cables?
Have you considered "Krud Kutter"? It's available at Home Depot.
To clean: remove cables; spray Krud Kutter on cables; use a tooth brush while spraying to clean; rinse with water; preserve clean metals of cable with kerosene; use furniture wax on rubber (beer optional for internal use).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.