Author Topic: Who Rebuilds Disc Brake Calipers?  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Angela

Who Rebuilds Disc Brake Calipers?
« on: February 11, 2021, 09:54:12 AM »
I would prefer not to use new, offshore castings which appear to be what is provided when purchasing either new, or "re-manufactured" disc brake calipers from any of the mustang parts vendors.

In the past, I have take my original calipers to my local parts house and had them sent to Cardone for rebuilding. Sadly, they no longer offer this service.

Can anyone recommend a good source for either (a) rebuilding original calipers or (b) purchasing rebuilt or new calipers which us castings made in the USA?

My present application is 1970, but certainly this applies to all years.

Thank you!

Offline bgp429

Re: Who Rebuilds Disc Brake Calipers?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 10:46:26 AM »
It isn't difficult to rebuild them yourself.  All you really need is a small air compressor and a blow gun. Just checked NAPA the kits are still available. There should be videos on the internet.

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 11:05:57 AM »
Thanks, I'll investigate the DIY kits.
The last pair of calipers I sent out for repair had to ultimately be sent to two different shops before they finally worked without leaking. Therefore, I suspect it must be sometimes a bit more difficult than meets the eye.

Offline PacificaXR7GT

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 12:53:52 PM »
I was able to rebuild my own calipers with a kit from the auto parts store but my Cougar is far from a concours build.

I posted about it on the Cougar forum here https://classiccougarcommunity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122395#p122395

Mine have driven about 1000 miles since the rebuild and still no leaks.

Offline bgp429

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 12:59:01 PM »
No not really. Have rebuilt hundreds of calipers.  They probably forced the piston in without enough lube and folded the seal over. The piston should go in by hand not requiring much force. I would try to find caliper lube as it is compatible with brake rubber and has a higher viscosity. Brake fluid can be used but I liked the brake specific lube better.

Be sure to inspect the pistons for pitting on the seal surface.

Offline Angela

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 08:35:35 AM »
Do you have a part number of a rebuild kit which has worked well for you?
It looks like the kit from NPD which includes seals and piston is $60.  Sadly, I can buy a rebuilt caliper for $45. Perhaps it simply costs more $ to rebuild the original caliper... and that might be ok...

Offline bgp429

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 01:07:49 PM »
Do you have a part number of a rebuild kit which has worked well for you?
It looks like the kit from NPD which includes seals and piston is $60.  Sadly, I can buy a rebuilt caliper for $45. Perhaps it simply costs more $ to rebuild the original caliper... and that might be ok...
The rebuilders don't always replace the piston  from my experience. If the piston is pitted it could leak depending on how pitted and where.The big rebuilders use lower standards on what pistons are acceptable to reuse. If it doesn't work you bring it back and they replace it .They will not compensate for labor but they will exchange it. The odds are in their favor. With that said the rebuilds typically are satisfactory IMO.  The piston is the costliest part if it has to be replaced. Replacing the piston gives a higher probability of not leaking success. Others may have a different opinion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Angela

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 01:28:04 PM »
Thanks Bob, good points.

My pistons are not usable. I'm actually concerned whether or not the bores of the calipers will be OK. I'm running them through the ultrasonic cleaner now in hopes of a better assessment.

bgp429: Thanks! Yes, the seals appear to be readily available and cheap. It's the pistons which are spendy. The NPD kit contains pistons, seals and bolts and is $60. I was hoping I could find a decent pair of pistons for much less.

Thanks guys

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 01:40:24 PM »
Thanks Bob, good points.

My pistons are not usable. I'm actually concerned whether or not the bores of the calipers will be OK. I'm running them through the ultrasonic cleaner now in hopes of a better assessment.

bgp429: Thanks! Yes, the seals appear to be readily available and cheap. It's the pistons which are spendy. The NPD kit contains pistons, seals and bolts and is $60. I was hoping I could find a decent pair of pistons for much less.

Thanks guys
If the bores look questionionable and you are going to have to get new cores it makes more economical sense to get the rebuilds and use yours as core replacements. That is if they haven't already been replaced some time in the past 50 years. The cores have tiny metal stamped date codes which on top of the size can be faintly stamped and are virtually impossible to read once installed so a rebuild replacement most likely will look identical for all practical purposes. Just my opinion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 10:25:25 PM »
I used Karp's power Brake Service in California. They also rebuilt my original MC, distribution block and booster. Not cheap, not expensive, but good work.
1967 GT500 Built 1/26/67 #817
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline bgp429

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 05:24:38 PM »
The bores have to be REAL bad to be unusable. The area to be concerned about is the seal grove. The outer grove only retains the dust seal and doesn't effect fluid sealing.  Other areas light pitting won't effect anything.

Wonder if Granada pistons will interchange? I have a few sets of those calipers. Could remove the pistons.