Author Topic: 67 Shelby power steering lines  (Read 11247 times)

Offline Brian in PA

67 Shelby power steering lines
« on: June 27, 2016, 08:52:40 AM »
 Hi guys. I saw a pic of the power steering lines on  67 GT 350 that go under the engine instead of along the shock tower and exhaust manifold. Is this correct?  If so does anyone have some nice detailed pics?  Thanks.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 Shelby power steering lines
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 01:27:59 PM »
yes it does go under. same set up as big block except upper hose
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 01:40:15 PM »
I'm not going to qualify how much a GT350 might differ from an ordinary 289 with power steering but the regular 289's went down under. (Is there a cooler on a 67 GT350? ??? idk?)
Last year I ran a thread on identifying original 67 small block power steering hose details. It should help some (if not a lot) but you might still wish to get input from one of the Shelby guys too. I know there were some running changes in 67 on certain items but I will link the other thread if it helps.

Otherwise, many "Mustang" threads on power steering as well as several Unrestored example pictures available in SEARCH feature.

NOTE: ADMIN ~Please remove the link if it conflicts some how with a Shelby application
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10247.0
Yes, P/S oil cooler on 67/68 GT350 .     As Tim mentioned THE HOSES WERE routed the same as a big block with the difference being a 67/68 GT350 unique upper pressure hose. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 03:17:23 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 02:04:24 PM »
Yes, P/S oil cooler on 67/68 GT350 and as Tim mentioned it was routed the same as a big block with the difference being a 67/68 GT350 unique upper pressure hose.

Is this saying the PS cooler is part of the Pressure Hose side of the lines? (read as Return Hose is same to Mustangs with any 289, pressure hose unique to GT 350's and different than a basic Mustang)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 03:18:50 PM »
Is this saying the PS cooler is part of the Pressure Hose side of the lines? (read as Return Hose is same to Mustangs with any 289, pressure hose unique to GT 350's and different than a basic Mustang)
No, the cooler is on the return side.  I modified my post to make it more clear.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Brian in PA

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 04:38:56 PM »
thanks for the replies.  Does anyone care to share some pics?  Where does the cooler mount?  I didnt see anything about that in my Shelby assembly book.  if it routes the same as a big block does it also use the big block mount and insulator?  Thanks!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 04:58:40 PM »
thanks for the replies.  Does anyone care to share some pics?  Where does the cooler mount? ...

Guess its my turn :)

PS hose routing

Cooler location and hardware

Upper clamp is the original style lower is not

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 05:01:19 PM »
thanks for the replies.  Does anyone care to share some pics?  Where does the cooler mount?  I didnt see anything about that in my Shelby assembly book.  If it routes the same as a big block does it also use the big block mount and insulator?  Thanks!
It uses the same hose mount insulator and bracket as the BB mounted by the lower control arm if that is what you mean. The P/s cooler is mounted on the front side of the radiator support . two holes are cut into the support for hose routing . Additional bulk P/S return line hose is added to connect the cooler to the system.  It is run in series between the P/S pump on the one side and the return line from the control valve on the other.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 05:05:05 PM »
Here is what the 67/68 Shelby unique P/S upper pressure hose looks like.

Offline Brian in PA

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 11:20:16 PM »
Thanks fellas. Pictures are worth a thousand words 8)

Offline specialed

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 03:04:07 PM »
note bottom pic shows unrestored 67 car & clamp on control valve is worm drive  must be a late car   anybody note when the strap to worm drive clamp chang e over started in 67 cars?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 04:06:03 PM »
note bottom pic shows unrestored 67 car & clamp on control valve is worm drive  must be a late car   anybody note when the strap to worm drive clamp chang e over started in 67 cars?

Last year I worked on original SJ 289 Mustang P/S system with the strap clamp that had date stamp of March 2, 67 (date code of 7C22A on the PS Cylinder)
Small pressure line fitting too (1/4" flare nut)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2021, 01:55:52 PM »
Tagging onto this old thread as it's very appropriate.

When I took my car apart I actually snapped a pic of the crimp connectors at the cooler.
See pic.
Looks just like the version Bob posted earlier.

Did Ford perform the cooler mod or did SA? I'm guessing the later based on ugly holes and non-factory style crimping.

Anyway, I have NOS non-dimple crimp clamps for use at the cooler (in and out). I'll use diagonal cutters (or a crimper without the center piece that prevents the foldover) to crimp the clamp.

What clamp style is used at the break in the two part return line from the control valve? Crimp or screw (see pic)? If crimp, same non-factory method?
What clamp style is used at the pump? Crimp or screw? If crimp, same non-factory method?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2021, 02:14:00 PM »
Tagging onto this old thread as it's very appropriate.

When I took my car apart I actually snapped a pic of the crimp connectors at the cooler.
See pic.
Looks just like the version Bob posted earlier.

Did Ford perform the cooler mod or did SA? I'm guessing the later based on ugly holes and non-factory style crimping.

Anyway, I have NOS non-dimple crimp clamps for use at the cooler (in and out). I'll use diagonal cutters (or a crimper without the center piece that prevents the foldover) to crimp the clamp.

What clamp style is used at the break in the two part return line from the control valve? Crimp or screw (see pic)? If crimp, same non-factory method?
What clamp style is used at the pump? Crimp or screw? If crimp, same non-factory method?
The cooler addition was done at Ford assemblyline apparently given the photos of the units at the airport lot prior to Shelby conversion with cooler installed. Crimp clamps were used at the pump and return line. 68 Shelby changed to the screw clamps in your picture at the pump and the return line. The hose was pushed on almost the the elbow of the cooler . The hoses were installed on the cooler and then the hose was fed through the holes. The crimp clamps are installed far enough forward that they are on the front side of the radiator support once installed . That was most likely the reason why the hose was push so far onto the cooler tube.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2021, 03:02:07 PM »
Thanks Bob.
Those are some nasty factory holes!
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion