Author Topic: 67 GT500  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Azdriver

67 GT500
« on: September 05, 2016, 11:35:02 AM »
I read different things on various websites. I was always under the impression that the 428 motor was installed at Shelby but recently read on a site that the motors were installed by Ford at the San Jose plant? As with any event, the story has a way of changing over the years. I was hoping to get accurate information.
69 Mach 1 R code
66 GT coupe
68 GT500

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 GT500
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 01:38:34 PM »
I read different things on various websites. I was always under the impression that the 428 motor was installed at Shelby but recently read on a site that the motors were installed by Ford at the San Jose plant? As with any event, the story has a way of changing over the years. I was hoping to get accurate information.
Out of date speculation information gets updated . It is a evolving process. As new information is discovered and confirmed it replaces the old. The accurate information is that Ford started installing the engines outfitted to Shelby American specifications starting in late 1965 GT350 production and continued the practice until the end Of the Shelby program in the 1969/70 production. It cost less to have Ford do it. This is documented by various historic Ford documents as well as other physical evidence . Some of the evidence for instance were Ford Memos to Shelby asking Shelby for speculation of production numbers so that the engine plant would have the proper outside source components like intakes ,valve covers,carburators, etc. for the engine plants . The 1967 GT500 engine is no exception.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 GT500
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 02:52:38 PM »
+1  Plenty of documentation today that the cars were shipped from San Jose/Milpitas Ford plant to Shelby with the drive trains installed.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)