Author Topic: 67 S code alternator mounting help  (Read 4215 times)

Offline ceggar

67 S code alternator mounting help
« on: February 23, 2017, 08:30:59 PM »
On a 67 390 with A/C does the top A/C mount, alternator adjusting bracket, and bottom alternator bracket all mount to the same hole on the water pump?No smog. Also I have a 8620M belt that doesnt come close to fitting.thanks
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 10:27:30 PM by J_Speegle »
Gary
67 GTA Fastback "S"Code
09/30/66 SJ

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 S code alternator mounting help
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 10:27:22 PM »
Don't have that copy of the assembly manual or AC installation instructions that shows the mounting diagram for the AC. The top mounting hole and the inner adjustment arm for the alternator share the same bolt hole but with everything installed real hard to see (on a ac car) where that passenger side arm of the top brace/idler mount attaches exactly

Appears that some had the alternator mounted in the lower position (those assembled at San Jose)  even without thermactor but guessing that is not the route your following and that would mean different mounting points for those cars
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 11:50:52 PM »
On a 67 390 with A/C does the top A/C mount, alternator adjusting bracket, and bottom alternator bracket all mount to the same hole on the water pump?No smog. Also I have a 8620M belt that doesnt come close to fitting.thanks
No not the same hole and slightly different shaped adjusting bracket compared to the non air version.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ceggar

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 12:55:22 PM »
I see where the adjusting bracket mounts along with the a/c bracket, its the lower triangle bracket that wont line up with any other hole than where the adjusting/ac bracket is mounted. Is it possible that triangle bracket was not used with a/c?I have a c6ae-a and c6ae-b adjusting bracket. Is there a different one?Also a lower mount would be fine if some came that way. It originally had smog just not putting it on.Thanks
Gary
67 GTA Fastback "S"Code
09/30/66 SJ

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 06:27:28 PM »
I see where the adjusting bracket mounts along with the a/c bracket, its the lower triangle bracket that wont line up with any other hole than where the adjusting/ac bracket is mounted. Is it possible that triangle bracket was not used with a/c?I have a c6ae-a and c6ae-b adjusting bracket. Is there a different one?Also a lower mount would be fine if some came that way. It originally had smog just not putting it on.Thanks
Yes the triangle bracket is used . It is different however then the standard non thermactor triangle non A/C  bracket. The correct A/C triangle bracket has the same bolt pattern and mounting as the thermactor bracket uses. Also the upper adjusting bracket is different too. The correct upper bracket has a small bend /dogleg at the bottom to compensate for the A/C bracket it is bolted on top of.  Without the correct non thermactor adjusting arm for a top mount alternator the arm will be in a bind /twisted and things will not line up.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 06:30:06 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 06:39:07 PM »
I see where the adjusting bracket mounts along with the a/c bracket, its the lower triangle bracket that wont line up with any other hole than where the adjusting/ac bracket is mounted. Is it possible that triangle bracket was not used with a/c?.......................

IMHO its possible for a San Jose non Thermactor 390 to have been equipped with the larger dual mount (alternator and thermactor) plate and using the lower alternator mounting location with the standard (for thermactor 390) adjusting arm.  Seeing and have seen may too many of these brackets on unrestored San Jose non-thermactor 67's
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 07:04:11 PM »
IMHO its possible for a San Jose non Thermactor 390 to have been equipped with the larger dual mount (alternator and thermactor) plate and using the lower alternator mounting location with the standard (for thermactor 390) adjusting arm.  Seeing and have seen may too many of these brackets on unrestored San Jose non-thermactor 67's
I can only speak of my observations of the non thermactor ,A/C 67 GT500's . I have one in my shop at this moment.  In those cases the thermactor bracket was not used on a non thermactor car. Since a different non thermactor A/C triangle bracket is available and used on the GT500 engine and most likely other applications I am surprised to read reports of the brackets thermactor bracket and lower mounting being used on non thermactor 390 Mustangs. I agree it is possible. 

Offline ceggar

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 09:48:56 PM »
Ok the triangle bracket I have is C5TE-10156-A which only lines up with the hole that the adjusting bracket and a/c mount is bolted to. It looks like the C6AE-B is the right adjusting bracket.Bob do you have the number for the correct triangle bracket and/or know where to find one? If not I will have to go with the low mount as I have all the smog stuff.
Gary
67 GTA Fastback "S"Code
09/30/66 SJ

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 10:09:48 PM »
Ok the triangle bracket I have is C5TE-10156-A which only lines up with the hole that the adjusting bracket and a/c mount is bolted to. It looks like the C6AE-B is the right adjusting bracket.Bob do you have the number for the correct triangle bracket and/or know where to find one? If not I will have to go with the low mount as I have all the smog stuff.
I am sorry but it is on the car and a engineering number is not visible in the paint.

Offline 67gt390fb

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 09:21:49 PM »
I believe those are the right brackets you have, C5TE-10156-A and C6AE-B.  I can get pictures of mounting position Monday
7R02S153xxx      12/15/66

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 11:43:09 PM »
I believe those are the right brackets you have, C5TE-10156-A and C6AE-B.  I can get pictures of mounting position Monday
I don't think so. As the picture shows only two items bolt to the upper bolt hole . That would be the alt adjusting bracket and the A/C compressor upper bracket. Notice the small bend in the adjusting arm at the attachment point to compensate for the A/C bracket. You can see that the A/C triangle bracket bolt pattern is different when compared to the more common non A/C bracket because of the mounting points. It is tight in there so the pictures are of the only vantage point i could get to easily .
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 11:45:49 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline ceggar

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 03:08:41 PM »
So it looks like i have the correct adjusting bracket according to the picture which would be a C6AE-B. The bottom triangle bracket has to have a wider bolt pattern and a deeper shape at the top then the C5TE-10156-A in able to bolt to one of the 2 remaining water pump holes because the upper hole is recessed in.
Gary
67 GTA Fastback "S"Code
09/30/66 SJ

Offline bazza

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 11:53:45 PM »
I'm in the same position as Ceggar. Very interested in the outcome.
67 Dearborn S code coupe Built 8/17/67

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 12:30:37 AM »
So it looks like i have the correct adjusting bracket according to the picture which would be a C6AE-B. The bottom triangle bracket has to have a wider bolt pattern and a deeper shape at the top then the C5TE-10156-A in able to bolt to one of the 2 remaining water pump holes because the upper hole is recessed in.
I found a C6AE-B adjusting bracket and I can confirm it is the correct one . That leaves the triangle to complete the installation with A/C.

Offline bazza

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 06:52:53 PM »
it looks like it should be similar to a C8AE-10156-B
67 Dearborn S code coupe Built 8/17/67