Author Topic: Electrolysis on Cast Iron Bell Housing Results  (Read 1566 times)

Offline bullitt68

Electrolysis on Cast Iron Bell Housing Results
« on: November 12, 2018, 09:31:00 PM »
Just wanted to check and find out if this finish is acceptable or correct for my bell housing. I used electrolysis to remove the surface rust. Since I am not familiar with what a transmission would have looked like when new I am asking here to find out if this is a good route to go or use another method to get the desired result. Thanks
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 02:08:37 AM by bullitt68 »
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Electrolysis
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 10:58:18 PM »
Just wanted to check and find out if this finish is acceptable or correct for my bell housing. I used electrolysis to remove the surface rust. Since I am not familiar with what a transmission would have looked like when new I am asking here to find out if this is a good route to go or use another method to get the desired result. Thanks
Use another method. A product evapo rust ,rust 911 or other similar products most likely will give better results.The bell housing was a bare cast iron. It would not be as dark as it appears in your pictures. Your pictures look almost black.  I am not sure how you are going to lighten it. You may try a acid wash product like eagle one wire wheel cleaner to lighten it some. Bead blasting is the last thing you want to do because it will change the appearance  from what it looked like originally. Of course you will have to use a rust inhibitor after you lighten up the bare cast surface. It should be more of a medium to darker gray shade in appearance.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 12:17:08 AM »
Use another method. A product evapo rust ,rust 911 or other similar products most likely will give better results.The bell housing was a bare cast iron. It would not be as dark as it appears in your pictures. Your pictures look almost black.  I am not sure how you are going to lighten it. You may try a acid wash product like eagle one wire wheel cleaner to lighten it some. Bead blasting is the last thing you want to do because it will change the appearance  from what it looked like originally. Of course you will have to use a rust inhibitor after you lighten up the bare cast surface. It should be more of a medium to darker gray shade in appearance.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected Bob. I thought it was too dark as well, and yes it almost looks black. I don't know what an original would have looked like when new, but I have had great success with vapour blasting, so I will give it a try and see what results I get.
Mike

Offline OldGuy

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 01:13:10 PM »
Before you resort to any form of blasting, try "scrubbing" the surface with a stainless or brass brush using a paste of Comet cleanser and water. Your bell housing just might be hiding under a precipitation coating (left by the electrolysis process) of converted rust.

Good luck.

Frank

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 02:34:51 PM »
Thanks Frank I will try that. What I have done so far was wash off the surge from the electrolysis process with water, then in the solvent parts washer and then I sprayed the bell housing with Boeshield. It is definitely a lot darker than when I put it in. I tried some steel wool and it did nothing. Its almost as if the metal was dyed somehow from one of the processes.
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 12:15:43 AM »
Before you resort to any form of blasting, try "scrubbing" the surface with a stainless or brass brush using a paste of Comet cleanser and water. Your bell housing just might be hiding under a precipitation coating (left by the electrolysis process) of converted rust.

Good luck.

Frank
You don't want to use a brass brush here. You will find that that the brass from the bristles will start to transfer to the surface giving a goldish tint. It is not a desirable effect. Been there done that.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 12:45:02 AM »
You don't want to use a brass brush here. You will find that that the brass from the bristles will start to transfer to the surface giving a goldish tint. It is not a desirable effect. Been there done that.

What do you suggest Bob. I was planning g to vapour blast the bell housing because I like the result as a rune. However I have not blasted cast iron yet, only cast aluminum, and stamped metal parts. Works very well in that application
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 01:22:39 AM »
What do you suggest Bob. I was planning to vapour blast the bell housing because I like the result as a rule. However I have not blasted cast iron yet, only cast aluminum, and stamped metal parts. Works very well in that application
I would try a combination of stainless steel brush and eagle one chrome wheel cleaner first. It has acid in it. I do not have a experience with restoring a finish on a part that has gone through the electrolysis process so these products are just a best guess to try. You may have to ultimately have to vapor blast it and darken it from there but I don't know.   
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:59:38 AM by bullitt68 »

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 02:02:24 AM »
I would try a combination of stainless steel brush and eagle one chrome wheel cleaner first. It has acid in it. I do not have a experience with restoring a finish on a part that has gone through the electrolysis process so these products are just a best guess to try. You may have to ultimately have to vapor blast it and darken it from there but I don't know.

Thanks Bob I will try the vapour blasting method and see what happens. However do do think that the darkening happened after the electrolysis process, either in the solvent tank, or when I applied the Boeshield to it. I will post a photo of the result and then hopefully I will be able to achieve the correct look for cast iron in what would have been its new state when the car was new
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 12:31:05 PM »
Thanks Bob I will try the vapour blasting method and see what happens. However do do think that the darkening happened after the electrolysis process, either in the solvent tank, or when I applied the Boeshield to it. I will post a photo of the result and then hopefully I will be able to achieve the correct look for cast iron in what would have been its new state when the car was new
I  think if boeshield darkened it the shade would lighten up once the boeshield dried. Keep use posted on your progress.

Offline 69bossnut

• DSD Restorations LLC
Re: Electrolysis on Cast Iron Bell Housing Results
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 05:10:49 PM »
A stainless steel wire brush & steel wool with WD-40 will lighten it up. Then use your rust preventing spray.
DAVID DAVIS
DSD RESTORATIONS LLC
5075 E. COUNTY RD. 126
BLYTHEVILLE, AR. 72315
870-780-4999
dsdresto@gmail.com
www.dsdrestoration.com

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 12:49:53 AM »
I  think if boeshield darkened it the shade would lighten up once the boeshield dried. Keep use posted on your progress.

Will do
Mike

Offline bullitt68

Re: Electrolysis on Cast Iron Bell Housing Results
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 12:50:26 AM »
A stainless steel wire brush & steel wool with WD-40 will lighten it up. Then use your rust preventing spray.

Thanks Dave I will try that and see what happens
Mike