Author Topic: Clip retainers/speedo cable clip location  (Read 1503 times)

Offline pellets4fuel

Clip retainers/speedo cable clip location
« on: April 15, 2018, 02:20:13 PM »
Hello,
I have a couple questions that I have yet to find answers for in any of the threads I have searched, and I was hoping someone can help.
On those various clips mentioned with that "little doodad" you spread open, what is the best way to spread them, and get a nice tight fit?  For example, the ones on the two clips down the tunnel for the brake/fuel lines.  I bought the reproduction ones, and had my wife try to help me hold the one side while I spread the other with a screw driver, but the clips are "saggy", not tight to the tunnel steel like I was hoping for.
Likewise on the clip I made for the drivers side apron to hold my speedo cable by the distribution block, using the doodad to retain it.
What about sealing those clips then?  I got the kit CJ Pony Parts had for early cars, and there are just the clips and retainers in the kit. They also had individual ones (phosphate clip with retainer and a gasket)  I bought the kit for my lines, and two of the others one to make the drivers side apron clip for speedo, the other thinking I was going to use one for my toeboard area speedo clip. Which leads to the other question.
On the 390- 4 speed car speedo cable I have read in multiple places the routing and clips used.  I have the manual page which shows the clip at the passengers side toe board area, but my floorboards lack a hole in that area, other than the AC drain hole.  Can anyone help me on where to position a hole in that area for the appropriate clip.  Maybe using the AC drain hole as a reference point.
Or point me to a thread that details that, as I have yet to find it.
All the info I have found posted on cables, under dash routing etc. In the 67 Mustang section has been very helpful for me, and enabled me to get my AC stuff all crammed back in, and many other things put back together, so a big thanks there :)!
David

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Clip retainers/speedo cable clip location
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 02:29:55 PM »
Hello,
I have a couple questions that I have yet to find answers for in any of the threads I have searched, and I was hoping someone can help.
On those various clips mentioned with that "little doodad" you spread open, what is the best way to spread them, and get a nice tight fit?  For example, the ones on the two clips down the tunnel for the brake/fuel lines.  I bought the reproduction ones, and had my wife try to help me hold the one side while I spread the other with a screw driver, but the clips are "saggy", not tight to the tunnel steel like I was hoping for.
Likewise on the clip I made for the drivers side apron to hold my speedo cable by the distribution block, using the doodad to retain it.
What about sealing those clips then?  I got the kit CJ Pony Parts had for early cars, and there are just the clips and retainers in the kit. They also had individual ones (phosphate clip with retainer and a gasket)  I bought the kit for my lines, and two of the others one to make the drivers side apron clip for speedo, the other thinking I was going to use one for my toeboard area speedo clip. Which leads to the other question.
On the 390- 4 speed car speedo cable I have read in multiple places the routing and clips used.  I have the manual page which shows the clip at the passengers side toe board area, but my floorboards lack a hole in that area, other than the AC drain hole.  Can anyone help me on where to position a hole in that area for the appropriate clip.  Maybe using the AC drain hole as a reference point.
Or point me to a thread that details that, as I have yet to find it.
All the info I have found posted on cables, under dash routing etc. In the 67 Mustang section has been very helpful for me, and enabled me to get my AC stuff all crammed back in, and many other things put back together, so a big thanks there :)!
David
For the brakes lines down the tunnel I use the orange hi temp silicone to mimic the orange sealer used by the factory along with the clips. Those clips are meant to be squeezed on the top side which results in the bottom side spreading out.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline pellets4fuel

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 02:45:46 PM »
Bob,
Thanks for that.  I never thought to do it that way.  Boy do I feel dumb  :)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 04:42:21 PM »
For the brakes lines down the tunnel I use the orange hi temp silicone to mimic the orange sealer used by the factory along with the clips.   
I use Permatex Copper RTV, but found that I needed to do "touch up" dabs. What Ford originally used was closer to the rubber used in a balloon as far as consistency. When the RTV dries, it "cracks" because it's stretched beyond its normal use parameters.
Those clips are meant to be squeezed on the top side which results in the bottom side spreading out.   
Pliers.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 05:41:12 PM »

David - want to confirm that your working on a 67 year model/Cougar?  Didn't include that in your post so want to be certain before I start looking for references to see if I can help with some pictures ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline pellets4fuel

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 01:35:15 AM »
I did have that in there, but I must have edited it out for some reason.
Yes it is a 67 model year Cougar.  It had a scheduled build date of 10-28-66, so early production if it matters, and a S-code.  Several items dictate it was indeed earlier off the line.  Has the vac can for AC inside under the hood hinge.  The earlier style headlight door actuator, and the vac line routing for the AC controls are the early style where they lay in the channel under the glove box.  Oh and no buck tag, just to name a few.

Anyway, I see what looks like what might be a spot where there was a hole, hard to tell.  Seems like it stretches the cable a little too much to try to get it there.  It also seems like it would be in an odd spot, as the spot I am referring to is in a reinforcing rib molded into the floor board. The picture examples I have seen of Mustangs with 4 speeds (various years) seem to place it closer to the radius where the flat floor meets the tunnel.
PO could have welded it shut not knowing it was for a speedo clip.  I know he did a little patch work in DS floor pan area.  Or maybe it was never there.  Need to get something there though to keep the cable from ending up against the H-pipe.  Car is far from being concourse, but I want to do it right I guess, or as close as possible.  I have already talked to Scott over at WCCC, and he told me they didn't have any examples of 4-speed cars in the yard to check it out on.
Thanks for the input on sealing up around those clips.  Question, do you put some on prior, and let it set up and then push the clip into it like a gasket, or do you set it wet. Or just dab it over the spread clip on the underside of car?  I suppose if I'm not going for concourse, I could even do black seeing how the underside of my car is painted with SG black anyway, and not red primer, or slop.
Thanks!
David

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 02:34:01 AM »
I did have that in there, but I must have edited it out for some reason.
Yes it is a 67 model year Cougar.  It had a scheduled build date of 10-28-66, so early production if it matters, and a S-code.

Try this location ;)

Jeff Speegle

Offline pellets4fuel

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 11:02:52 AM »
Thanks Mr. Jeff.  Probably will look for a dimple there later today.  If I can't find it, is that a current picture of a project your on that you could pull measurements for me from say the centerline of that rib over, and from the center of the AC drain hole down?
David

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 02:23:38 PM »
Thanks Mr. Jeff.  Probably will look for a dimple there later today.  If I can't find it, is that a current picture of a project your on that you could pull measurements for me from say the centerline of that rib over, and from the center of the AC drain hole down?
David

Not from a current project and don't have a 67 at home at the moment. Center line appears to be outboard from the center line of the AC drain hole
Jeff Speegle